Chapter 13

"Just toss it up on the ledge you idiot!" Godzilla hissed. He and Anguirus were on the outskirts of the human village, hiding behind a small ledge that they could easily jump up on. Biting his lip nervously, Anguirus mumbled a quick apology to the Mosura cub before he tossed her up. "We should go with her, make sure she gets back," he murmured worriedly. An idea to get rid of both of his problems popping into his head, Godzilla purred, "Good idea."

"No, wait- AHHH!!!!" Anguirus screamed as Godzilla grabbed his scruff and tossed him onto the ledge. Landing in the dirt, the blue kaiju cat covered his face with his large paws as he yowled, "Please! Don't kill me!" When nothing happened, he dared to open his eyes. "Um, this could be a problem," he announced. Jumping up, Godzilla grumbled, "What?" Following the other feline's gaze, he saw the problem and growled, "Oh that's just perfect."

The human camp had been abandoned.

"Hey, little cub! Don't go wandering off!" Anguirus cried. The Mosura cub didn't pay him any attention. She crawled towards the very center of the abandoned human camp. Even though she didn't know how to walk and was merely crawling on her belly, she was moving pretty dang fast. Anguirus ran after her, desperate to make sure she wouldn't get hurt. In his haste, he accidentally stepped down on a human tool. The wooden handle swung up and smacked him right in the nose.

Nearby, Godzilla casually walked through the human camp. Why was it abandoned? He knew that, like the other kaiju cats, the humans migrated to a different location during the cruel months of winter. But they usually took time taking down their camp and they hardly left anything behind. What he was seeing right now suggested they left in a hurry. Then he spotted a clue as to possibly why.

A paw print of a kaiju cat.

"Anguirus, come here for a second," Godzilla rumbled. A moment later, the blue kaiju cat came. Rubbing his sore nose, Anguirus peered down the paw print. The spiky fur running along his spine bristled in fear. "You know," he mumbled nervously, looking up at Godzilla, "I heard about a pride who lives in this area. Rumor has it they hunt and kill kaiju cats when food is scarce."

"The Ghidorah pride, I know," Godzilla murmured. He bent down and sniffed the paw print. His right ear twitched. Rising up, the black kaiju cat gazed at his surroundings thoughtfully. Watching his companion, Anguirus dared to ask, "Do you think they were behind this?" Humming softly in reply, Godzilla muttered, "Wouldn't surprise me. If it wasn't them, then I don't know who it was. All I know is there must have been a fight between the humans and some kaiju cats. It looks like the humans must've left to avoid the danger afterwards."

"Mosura and her cub probably got separated during the fight," Anguirus remarked, recalling how badly wounded the ancient kaiju cat had been. The blue kaiju cat had a point, Godzilla thought. Mosura had been badly hurt. "I think she was attacked by someone with fire powers," he announced. Gazing down at Anguirus, he continued, "And I also think that whoever did this was going after that cub. This is just too much of a coincidence. This place, Mosura hurt. It all fits."

"We better hurry and get the cub back to the humans then," Anguirus stated. A heavy sigh escaping from him, Godzilla solemnly nodded his head. Looking around, the blue kaiju cat raced off to find the kitten. She had wandered off again. His companion followed him in silence. He was lost in his thoughts. There was something else going on. There was a piece of the puzzle that was missing. He shook his head. He would think about it later. For now, he followed Anguirus to a nest in the middle of the abandoned human camp. That's where they found the Mosura cub. And she wasn't alone.

"I told you they left, but you two idiots clearly didn't listen to me," Rodan remarked in his monotonous voice, the sun glistening in his yellow eyes.