Chapter 33

"What was your work three years ago?"

Gio was walking back and forth at the court. Emman Santos has been summoned in the witness stand. Inamin niya sa amin na inutusan siya ni Oliver Castro that's why we filed a case to both of them.

Kasama ko ngayon sina Addie, Lian, Calynn at Elly. Hindi sumama sina Mom and Dad for some reason. Hindi ko sinama si Maureen because I don't want to traumatize her.

"Bodyguard po ni Sir Anthony Castro."

"And do you know that he was being accused of killing someone?" Gio asked.

"Opo."

"Do you have any idea who the judge on his trial?"

Napalunok si Emman Santos, nanginginig na siya sa takot sa mga tanong ni Gio. "Opo."

Pinatong ni Gio ang siko niya sa witness stand. "Can you tell me the name of the Judge?"

Five seconds had passed before Emman Santos spoke. "Judge Vergara po."

Gio nodded. "Do you know Miss Natalia Eunice Verdadero?" Gio asked, giving me a goosebumps by just saying my name.

"Yes, Prosecutor." Emman Santos answered.

"Do you know her relationship with Judge Vergara's son the time she got shot?" Gio asked.

"Girlfriend po siya."

"Objection, your honor!" The defense lawyer stood up. "The prosecutor is asking a question that has nothing to do with the case."

"It will yield something relevant, your Honor." Gio said then looked at Emman Santos. "You said you were Anthony Castro's bodyguard, so when he was convicted of murder, I assumed you lost your job, wala ka nang po-protektahan, am I correct?"

Umiling si Emman Santos. "Hindi po. Naging bodyguard po ako ng anak niya, si Sir Oliver Castro."

Gio nodded and got a paper from his desk then he put it above the witness stand. "According to your record, you lost your job before the victim got shot, am I right?"

"Opo, Prosecutor."

"And it happens that after the victim got shot..." Gio pointed me using his palm before his eyes went back to Emman Santos. "You got your job back, correct?"

Tumango si Emman Santos. "Tama po."

"Is it because Oliver Castro ordered you to shot Miss Natalia Eunice Verdadero and her sister Miss Maureen Venice Verdadero because they had a personal grudge with Judge Vergara?"

Agad na narinig ko ang mga bulungan. Napatingin ako kay Calynn na nasa tabi ko dahil bumubulong-bulong siya.

"Stupid, Gio. That's a leading question." Calynn whispered under her breath.

"Objection, your Honor!" the defense lawyer said. "Leading."

"Objection sustained." the Judge woman said. "Change your question, Prosecutor."

Gio nodded and took a step back from the witness. "Can you tell me how you got your job back as a bodyguard of Castros?"

Emman Santos pursed his lips. Hindi siya makapagsalita, hindi siya makasagot.

"I just want to remind you that you are under oath. You sworn that you will tell the truth and nothing but the truth or else we will charge you of perjury, that's another case for you, Mr. Santos." dire-diretsong sabi ni Gio.

I was actually admiring Gio while he was doing his job. It was my first time watching him in court. He looked really different from the Gio that I know. Parang ibang tao siya kapag nasa korte. The Gio that I used to know was always clingy to me especially when he misses me. Good old days.