Chapter 50

"Descansar?" Andrew's eyes widen, hand falling over his mouth at the words he speaks. "Are you sure?"

We sit in a circle near the opening of the Magie, Mikayla's head resting in my lap as she shuts her eyes to the thought. The full moon casts enough light for us to see each other but not to be seen, the tall grass rustling against our necks as we use it to our advantage, voices low as we contemplate the risks of it not being Descansar.

Clide clears his throat, breaking the thick silence beginning to wrap around our small group. "I say any idea is a good idea at the moment."

"It wouldn't hurt for you to at least try." No one has questioned Ezra's being here, nor the light glow he casts under the moonlight, nor how similar the three of us are in appearance. Secretly I'm thankful for it but at the same time would like the distraction to lighten the mood. We're all tense, sat under the cover of the grass and hoping no one can hear us out here.

"If anyone is going to go," Andrew starts, eyes switching between all involved before landing on me. His presence keeps all of us strong, calm words seeping into us and releasing the fears we hold. "it should be Mikayla and Moon. No one else."

There's a murmur of agreement, the cicadas joining in as they start their song, the melody covering our voices and easing our mind of possible spies. "Kai should go too." Andrew's lips automatically fall into a frown, teeth chewing at the inside of his cheek as he waits for Ezra to finish. "He has Moon's soul so technically speaking a part of him is a shifter, allowing him to survive the journey, and a part of him is Arehli too."

"He has a point." I add to the conversation, setting down the blade of grass I'd been twisting around my anxious fingers. "Kai is just as much a part of this as I am."

"Moon I'm not-" Losing the both of you. For the first time Andrew is at a loss of words, his eyes meeting mine as I read the rest of his broken sentence, guilt pouring into me as I think of what this is costing him, what this is costing us.

"We'll be f-fine." Even I don't sound too sure, words choking up mid sentence as I grab hold of Kaiien's hands, breaths faltering as I realize this could be the last time I ever do so, this could be the last time I hold him or kiss him or speak to him. If this kills him it will kill me...

Kaiien's thumb rolls along the side of my hand, a worried smile pulling down his features as he reassures me. "We'll be fine." It's barely a whisper, the sound being carried off as I'm left to read his quivering lips before he stills them with a bite, standing up in the grass and pulling me with him before staring puzzled at the ground. "How...?"

Without meaning to his eyes fall to my sewn wrist, one brow raised as he stares back at the ground. "I don't know." Even with all my jewels I'd only been to the physical realm once in my life, and it was by pure accident that I'd happened to get in and out alive.

"Try it?" At this point the crowd has disappeared, my mind focusing on Kaiien and Kaiien only before shutting my eyes all together, body warming at the thought of the hellish landscape of Descansar, of the bodies hanging from the trees, of the amethyst littering the ground all around them, the sky polluted with black ash.

A nightmare they had called it.

"Kaiien, it isn't working."

His eyes only stay on the ground, slender hand reaching out to stroke the bloody and ripped skin of my wrist, thread hanging out of the cut I wasn't aware had burst open. "You need all your jewels."

"Then how the hell-"

The young boy shushes me, closes his eyes for a moment before smiling, staring down at the men on the floor and grabbing hold of my hand. "Magic."