Chapter 10

This chapter describes my original take on a siren.

---------------------------------------------

One new text. Bunny why aren't you at school? Are you already trying to skip? ;)

Matt. I beam down at my phone, Julius cocking his brow at me through the review-mirror. "Girlfriend?" He laughs, something worrisome hidden behind the light chime.

"More like extremely worried friend."

"Ah," He sighs. "I always knew the Eden boy was a little...possessive."

"It's not Eden." I comment, sliding my phone open. I text back my reply to Matt's twenty-questions.

Have to go to my Shower.

What?

I get gifts and cake and it's a giant party sorta like a baby shower. Julius gets gifts too.

Oh well have fun.

"Moon we're here." I stare up at the building beside my school, it has a more natural appeal with simple bricks and concrete. In every open window there lies a cubicle. A few of the creatures wave frantically at me, their pencil skirts and ties going askew.

Julius leads me up the concrete steps into the building. I barely avoid breaking my face as he steadies me and slides a card into some new-age looking device before the double doors automatically open for us. He grabs hold of my hand before running to the left of the building and it's cubicles towards a clear glass elevator.

"Ready?" He giggles and brings our entwined hands to his lips before jumping over for a peck on the cheek.

"I think that helped the nerves." I reply shakily. It isn't even a lie. The scent of oranges is suffocating in the small glass orb that's strangely empty, dinging on the tenth floor to let us out. The office is laid out like any other with cubicles here and there, muffin carts, a few offices that would make it seem packed but the room is the polar opposite. A rather large and empty space sits in the middle cluttered with ice-cream, cake, cupcakes, gifts, and two gold and velvet thrones.

"Oh my God! Julius, he's beautiful!" A lanky woman screams drawing the attention of fifty plus people.

"Is this him?" A round man questions Julius at the speed of light.

"I can't believe you are gay. I would've never thought my boss was gay!" Another woman laughs in semi-denial. The lanky woman rushes us over to the two thrones, everyone a bit too cheery though the emotions seem genuine.

"Me first!" A woman shouts and pushes her way to the front. She grabs two gifts from the massive pile and shoves them in our arms while her pixie cut sways madly.

"Aw!" Julius claps his hand to his heart and hugs her. I shrug. Might as well open mine too. I open the box to see a stuffed lion, it's mane a fluorescent orange and it's body the same type of matte white as White Out.

"Smell it." She presses.

"Oh my god." All of my nerves are instantly released as Julius's scent wafts from the lion's body and mane, a small orange printed on it's bum like some sort of My Little Pony. "This is amazing." Burying my face back into it's artificial mane I catch a whiff of tangerine, bringing back the distinct memory of Lucy running through the halls. It smells identical to home, shelter, warmth, and love but I'd never tell anyone that-except possibly Julius.

I lean over my thrown to shove it in Julius's face and embrace the platinum blonde lady with the pixie cut. I cuddle the doll, Jewel, in my arms and draw my legs up onto the red velvet cushion. The lanky woman returns in front of us handing Julius a book and gives me a circle of wrapping paper.