Chapter 7

"That Eden boy was pretty cute. Hmm?" Julius playfully nudges me as I shrink farther into the passenger's side window. Is it just me or are the leaves falling faster from their humble branch abodes?

I shrug nonchalantly, relaxing a bit once I feel the cool glass of the window press against my back. "I'm not into boys."

His words flail about like a fish out of water as he tries to excuse himself. "Oh yes! Of course!" He coughs, awkwardly patting my knee and letting his fingertips play with the torn hole in my jeans."Understandable."

"Why do you live so far out anyway? Isn't it a bit...impractical?"

This time it's his turn to shrug. "I live next to a Magie so it doesn't really matter."

Playfully grunting I ask, "The hell is a Magie?"

He exchanges my look of curiosity with his own raised eyebrow and smirk. "It's French for 'magic'. We use it as the name of our towns that are out of human hands. They know nothing of it and will never be able to see it. I'm surprised you haven't ran into it with all the running away you're doing."

I nod guiltily, turning to gaze out the window to avoid his stare. "Julius, I'm truly sorry for leaving but-"

"Don't apologize just...are you alright?"

I simply huff and pull one end of my lip up, catching a glimpse of my eyes in the review mirror, the animal in them glittering violently. "I'm not that bothered by it, really."

The car pulls to a steady stop on the side of the road, the tires gently dipping into the dew-wetted grass. The trees gather together in gossiping clusters in the distance, a few birds racing and jumping over abandoned twigs. Julius's chill hands jerk at my jawline until I'm facing him. His pupil's seem to of dilated, giving the illusion that his once beautiful features are now demented, mad.

"Moon, that man tried to rape you in the streets. You. Are. Not. Okay."

I try to steady my breath as phantom fingers glided over my waist and tug at my pants, just another sign of how my mind betrays me. "I'm good, Julius."

He wraps his slender yet muscular arms around me in a tight embrace, rubbing and patting my head soothingly. I gag slightly on his overwhelming scent, burying my nose in his neck to dilute the fragrance. "Just cry. No one will judge you if you cry."

A car honks at us as it drives by. "No."

"Moon-"

"No!"

"Just because it's happened before it doesn't give you an excuse to be broken and refuse to see what went on last night."

The sobs shake me, vision blurring with tears as I'm forced to remember. Remember how his breath choked me, hands leaving bruises at the slightest touch, how he felt pushing into me. How he smiled through it all. "No!"

"Moon, just because your father hurt you-"

"Please!" I entangle my fingers in his hair, not sure if I just need something to hold onto or if I want to hurt him. "Be-besides, it was my friend's father...no-not m-my own." I mutter, withdrawing from the man and holding myself close.

"It still hurt." He whispers.

"I just want to g-go home and l-l-lay down." My teeth chatter from my crying, my throat dry and achy.

"He called it home! Moon called my house his home!"

The energy of his excitement and thoughts break through my mind, a small smile playing at the corners of my lips at his happiness. Julius pulls the car back on to the road and continues to drive in peaceful silence.