Chapter 23

~Julius's POV~

"Just follow the directions on the box?" I ask Andrew, staring puzzled and clueless at the Pillsbury cookies in my hands.

He laughs a bit, mixing in the eggs a little harder. "Have you never cooked before?" With an even slight of hand he adds the milk to the cornbread, not a droplet falling to the stove.

"I've always had maids." A pang of guilt hits me as I long for Lucy but I'm able to push it aside as the boys burst through the doors. Maneuvering my way through the wooden kitchen, I end up at the entrance to greet them.

"Where's your brother?" Andrew questions with a sense of authority, not even bothering to turn and face them as if he already knows which one is missing.

Clide and James drop their things at the table, rolling up their sleeves and joining at the stove top. "Moon's working late." Will answers, guiding Kai by the hand into the mess of a workspace we've created.

"Kai help Julius with the cookies, Clide start the turkey, James is on pie duty, and Will you're stuck with the biscuits." There is a simultaneous groan of protest as they gather around the sink, washing their hands and walking off to their 'stations'.

Kai cringes as he cracks open an egg, half of the shell falling into the bowl while the other half lands on the floor. "Why do I have to help with cookies." He groans, peeking at the yellow-orange bubble near his socked feet.

"I don't know how to make them." I confess. Will snickers, spilling flour over the counter as he loses what little focus he had.

Clide catches my eye as he removes the turkey from the fridge and a large spotted baking dish from the cabinets. "No chocolate."

"An itsy bitty bit won't hurt him!" Kaiien protests, snatching the chocolate from a drawer and pouring half of the morsels in the batter. "He likes chocolate." He says aloud as if trying to explain his actions.

Grabbing the bag, Andrew ties up the top and throws it to the table, flashing Kaiien a typical fatherly look. "That doesn't mean it's good for him."

Kai stands back as I add the brown sugar and attempt to scoop out some of the chips. "I've given Moon chocolate before and he was fine."

"What else have you given him?" Andrew sighs. "No raisins. Or caffeine. No artificial sweeteners either. Just...everything a dog can't have." He drags off with a worried expression, his brows furrowing as he looks at me.

Thinking back to our mornings at the table I reply: "I attempted to give him co-"

"Cock!" Will jumps in laughing.

Playing along I respond coolly with: "That too."

Kai sprays the pan with oil, scooping the batter into balls and smushing them flat. The chips melt between his hands and the dough, chocolate smearing the spoon and bowl. "So you two have had sex?"

"Er..." I glance over at my phone, praying to myself when Moon's name pops up. Handling the phone with my wrists I'm able to prop it between my neck and shoulder while continuing to work. "Hey," My teeth collide with my bottom lip in a poor attempt of restraining my smile. "are you off yet?"

"A few more people."

"You sound tired just come home."

"I can't." There is a pause filled only with his shallow breathing and my soon to be shaky ones if he keeps it up. "I'll be done in two or three hours."

My eyes wander to the oven clock, a frown overtaking my features at the time displayed in blue LED. "Babe, I don't care. It's not like they can hold you ransom there either."