Chapter 4

"Blue? Really? You have to be so stereotypical and say your favorite color is blue?" He snorts. Julius sits laughing across from me at the round oak dining table, the sunlight raining down through the glass windows give his hair a chestnut glow. He squints his violet eyes at the rays, a dimple so small it almost goes unnoticed appearing on his cheek.

"Julius you have no right to talk! Just because you're in the closet it doesn't entitle Narnia to be your favorite movie!"

"But Jesus is in it!" He chuckles.

We've been going at it for a while now, my pancakes long gone but we are still spewing questions at one another. This is probably the most fun I have had in literally years.

"Favorite show!" I yell at him, erupting into a fit of laughter as he stumbles for an answer.

"Um..um..er Glee!" He giggles.

That sound. Beautiful and exotic in a non attractive way of course. Sigh. I've kissed boys before and I've even done acts with them sexually but Julius is different somehow. Julius is my innocent knight in shining armor and I love him for saving me. However, there are plenty of female fish out there in the Moon-is-straight sea and Julius is not in it.

He ruffles his hair through his slender fingers, messes it up, gives a gorgeously heartbreaking pout, and smiles. I know that what I feel is normal for me because of who he is but I still feel squeamish and wrong for glancing and smiling at him the way I do. They are supposed to be attractive to their servants to reduce pain when feeding. Being attractive to humanity gives them a better chance of luring in unexpected humans for a midnight snack in the woods. They don't do that Twilight shit-it's only for pu-

Julius's hand interrupts my slightly offensive train of thought. There is a slight curve on his hand, a scar probably the size of a cap eraser, maybe slightly bigger. I glide my thumb over the bumpiness of it and snatch his wrist before he pulls away. He looks sick, uneasy about the thought of me touching him, caressing him. His face is a slot machine of emotions as I roll my thumb over the small scar, loosening my grip on his hand.

"What happened?" He could of played it off as a bike accident, kitchen accident, ran into the couch accident but he just shakes his head and bites his lip, staring down at the table. I turn my head to the side and bite my lip in a nervous no-way-in-hell-was-this-meant-to-be-seductive way "Will your servants tell me?"

His brows furrow as he squints his eyes a tad bit. His head moves to the opposite side of mine and a wave of confusion washes over his face. "What servants have you been talking to?"

"Um a decent amount." Was he just playing dumb with me?

Julius blushes deeply and tries to hide the shame in his eyes but is too late. I barely met him and he is already lying to me?! What did he gain from doing this?! The anger is already boiling up inside of me ready to explode. "Oh...Moon-"

"Who told you about me?" I growl through my clenched teeth, hands balling into fists and rolling out of them just as quickly as they came.

"It's not hard to spot a werewolf I just-"

My anger dims down a significant amount. He doesn't know about me just yet. I sigh and remove our still entwined fingers with a smile. "I'm not a werewolf but do me a favor and stop guessing, stop lying, let me come out to you in time. We need to build this relationship up with trust before we try bigger things." Wow, that sounded awfully professional of me.

I turn away to scrape my dish as a small woman runs in front of me. She's childlike in her shape and stature with the smooth face of one as well. Her hair is braided and pulled back to frame her bony cheeks perfectly. Her almond eyes are larger than average and her lips are tiny but full like a doll's. She gingerly takes the ceramic plate from my hands and slides it under a stream of hot water. She spins back around to gift me with a shy smile before running to another room, beckoning us to follow her.