Twenty-Eight| DEACON + MYA

I take a deep breath and hold it in as I grip the handle to the locker room

I take a deep breath and hold it in as I grip the handle to the locker room. I've tried calling Hondo and I've even stopped at his house, but I can't find him. I'm sure this is a waste of time- what I did was beyond excusable- but I'm desperate.

Pulling the door open, I step inside, the sound of a microwave humming and the smell of food instantly engulfs my senses. Hondo stands in front of the microwave with his hands gripping the counter, I look around the room seeing that we're the only ones in here. Good. I didn't want an audience.

Hondo looks back to see who entered and when he sees that it's me his entire body turns rigid and his eyes cold. I've only ever seen him that way when he's faced with criminals. Now I was on the receiving end; not that I blame him. I fell in love with his daughter; I was no better than the men we put behind bars.

"Hicks told me I'd find you here." I say, taking a step further into the room.

"You really don't want to do this right now man." Hondo warns me.

"We need to talk."

"I have nothing to say to you man." Hondo walks towards the exit but before he can reach for the handle and before I can fully think it through- I step in front of him.

Hondo is quick- quicker than me I hate to admit, which gives me no time at all to react when he grabs me by the front of shirt, looking more angry than I've ever seen him.

"Do it," I urge. "Hit me. Lord knows I deserve it."

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't lay your ass out on the ground right now." Hondo grunts, still gripping my shirt.

"Because you know you'd be hurting Mya if you did."

At the mention of his daughter's name Hondo pulls his arm back and throws a punch. I knew it was coming but I didn't move because I know he needed to do it.

"Keep my daughter's name out of your mouth." He huffs before he turns his back on me.

"Look, what we did- what I did- was wrong." I say, following behind him. "I should've came to you once I realized I was having feelings for her."

"She's a kid man. A kid!" Hondo abruptly stopped in his stride to turn and growl at me.

"That's the thing Hondo- she's not. She's twenty-one. She's an adult whether you like it or not."

"That's my baby girl," He argues. "Jesus, Deac. You we're there in the hospital with me the day she was born." Hondo reminds me.