Thirty-One | Mya

The flutter of a thousand butterfly wings emerges at the pit of my stomach, and I exhale softly as the double doors open wide. I smile, squeezing my father's arm a little tighter, nervous.

You're going to be Mya Harrelson-Kay.

Nope.

I'm literally walking down the aisle with my father holding my arm and I still can't believe it.

I fell in love with my dad's best-friend, and I wouldn't change a single thing about our love story.

I lift my head, gazing ahead at him in front of me. He's standing straight with his head held high and hands clasped in front of him. His silver beard is neatly trimmed, and I lower my gaze to admire the black tuxedo he wears, and it's no wonder I'm one month along with our third kid.

The first two, Deacon's daughters from his first wife, stand beside him looking beautiful in their baby blue flower girl dresses. He has no idea that I'm expecting, and honestly I'm surprised I've been able to hide it from him for this long, but I know he's going to be thrilled at our growing family.

I take another step towards him and silently thank God.

I'm twenty-one years old. In just a few minutes I was going to be a step-mom and married to a man old enough to be my father.

And guess what? I couldn't fucking wait.

The traditional sounds of the wedding march continue to play, and I see Deacon smiling reassuringly to me.

I'm suddenly standing at the end of the altar with everyone staring at me, including my father who's ready to have his arm back. "Sorry," I mumble, releasing his arm.

Exhaling softly, I accept the hand Deacon extends to me and stand with him face to face in front of our family and friends.

My chest tightens every time I think about the future I'm stepping into. My husband and my father are the same age, and I really don't give a shit if it seems gross to others, because I'm a lucky woman.

"Deacon, let's address the elephant in the room which is you're clearly a lot older than me, which just means you have so much wisdom to share with me and the girls for the rest of our lives." I begin. "When I look at you I don't see age. I see a man who is everything I ever wanted in my husband and more. I see a man whose soul is good and intentions are pure. I stand here in front of our family and friends and vow to love you and the girls without conditions. I promise to love and respect the man you are and the man you will become. I promise you'll never go a day without knowing how much you mean to me and to always put that SWAT stamina to the test," I giggle at the pink tint in Deacon's cheeks to my words before I turn to face my parents, particularly my dad. "Sorry dad."

He doesn't look ready to haul me out of the church for my comment, so I look back at Deacon and continue. "But most importantly I promise to keep God at the center of our relationship because he created the best thing in my life to ever happen."
Deacon wipes away a tear from his eyes before he looks back at me and tightens his grip on my hands.

"Mya, when my wife died I told myself that I would never get married again and that I would be fine with just the girls if that was God's plan. But like they say, God's plan isn't your plan because he sent me you. Never did I expect my best-friend's daughter to be my everything. Mya, anyone who knows you know that to know you is to love you, so I never stood a chance. Everyone could tell you that I fought our connection. She's too young, I'm too old, and we're in different places in our lives are just some of the reasons why we shouldn't be standing here. But as I hold your hands and look into your eyes, I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. You give me the purpose and the motivation to be the best man and father I can be. I promise to always be a man you can proud to have by your side, I promise to keep chasing you, I promise to love the woman you are now and the woman you'll grow into.I promise your heart is safe with me."

With my heart on the verge of exploding, I listen and repeat the words of the Pastor before sliding the wedding band on Deacon's finger and watch as he Deacon slides my ring on my finger.

"Ladies and gentleman, Mr. And Mrs. David Kay." The Pastor announced.

Deacon places his hand on the small of my back before he's pulling me into him and our lips collide as one.

***

The wedding reception is everything I always pictured it to be, but it still take my breath away the second we walk in. Deacon leads us to the middle of the dance floor for our first dance as bride and groom. I wrap my arms around Deacon's neck and melt into his embrace the second his arms wraps around my waist.

"Have I told you how stunning you look tonight?" He asks, softly.

"Only a hundred times," I grinned at him, tightening my arms around his neck. "But if you want to say it again, I won't stop you."

"You look stunning tonight Mrs. Kay."

My face breaks out into a full on smile because that's the first time he's called me that. I'm his wife and he's my husband. From this day on we would be one.
I suddenly have the urge to show him how much I love him, so I loosen my arms from around his neck and place my right hand on his cheek. Placing a soft kiss on his lips, the room disappears along with everyone and everything else in it and it's just Deacon.

His spicy scent and piercing eyes. His body that I've worshiped every chance I get and there's still so many more ways we've yet to explore.

"Having second thoughts?" I whisper.

"None. You're stuck with me forever I'm afraid."

"When you think about your age, that's not really a long time." I tease, which earns me a glare from Deacon.

For most people, that look would send chills down their spine and I'm no different, only my chills were for a whole different reason.

I drag my hand lightly up and down his beard and Deacon's body comes to life against my body and I think we might have to cut this dance short.

"You want to get out of here?" He teases.

I nod. "Just waiting to follow your lead."

Deacon clears his throat and steps back, prepared to make his escape when two little bodies comes crashing against his leg and then mine.

I look down at the smiling faces of my step-daughters.

"Sorry. I held them off for as long as I could." Gwen says, apologetically.

"It's okay. Thanks for wrangling them in for us." Deacon says, bending down to pick up both girls so that he had one in each arm.

"Anytime," Gwen smiles then her eyes land on me. "You two really do make a beautiful family."

I smile in response at the older woman before she walks away and I turn my attention back to the three most important people in the room.

"Are you my new mommy now?" Lilah asks.

Wow. I'm a mom.

"I am," I answer. "Is that still okay?"

Lilah nods her head. "Yeah, it's okay."

"Good." I beam. "Then how come daddy is getting all the love? Come here!" I reach for Victoria who eagerly comes in my arms. "Looks like our plans are going to have to wait." I say to Deacon who doesn't look the slightest bit deterred as he pulls me in, wedging his free arm between our bodies so that his hand touches me in a very dangerous place.

"The night's still young." He goes on, rubbing me through the thin material of my dress. Who knew this good cop could be so bad?