Edge of Sanity | Tan | One

I blink awake, my eyelids heavy and slow as Bonnie's room comes into view

The sun is just rising. Did we fall asleep?

I groan, letting out a soft yawn as I open my eyes a little wider and noticing the warm body pressed against me.

Bonnie is cuddled against my body, her nose and lips buried into the nape of my neck as her blonde hair is pulled up into a messy ponytail. I reach down, covering her naked body with the blanket and tighten my arms around her.

My phone vibrates in the pile of clothes next to me, and I free the hand that's behind my head and reach for it, looking at the screen.

And I smile. She's back.

I swipe the green button and hold the phone up to my ear, mindful not to speak too loud so I wouldn't wake up Bonnie. "You finally decided to grace LA with your presence?"

Layla, my best-friend, laughs softly, the sultry sound of her sweet voice greets my ears.

"Well, I thought it was overdue." She jokes back. "I literally just walked in my room. Thank you again for leaving the key under the mat for me. Where are you?"

Layla spent the last two years living in New York but she recently got offered a better job in California so now she was moving in with me until she finds a place of her own. Her stuff arrived first, which I already placed in her room- now she was finally here

The last two years without Layla dragged impossibly slow, and it probably would've been a lot worse if I didn't have Bonnie and the team to keep me company, but now that Layla is back, there was no way I was going to waste another minute of the day.

"I'm coming." I tell her.

"How soon?" She wondered.

I look down at Bonnie who started to stir. "Give me an hour."

"It's barely eight in the morning, what can you possibly be doing?" She wondered.

"I'm with Bonnie." I tell her.

There's a pause. "Oh."

I look down at Bonnie, meeting her sleepy blue gaze and the cute knot between her brows.

"Yeah. I should be there in an hour and I'll bring breakfast." I tell her.

"Sounds good. You know what I like." She says, her voice sounding far away, like she placed me on speaker and was now walking around her room unpacking.