Twenty-Three | Mya

"You want to tell me the real reason you crashed on my couch last night?"

I look up from my bowl of cereal and give Chris a weak smile. "I told you I wanted to hang out with my big sister." I tell her.

And because Deacon broke my heart.

I don't want to see Deacon.

I miss Deacon.

God, I'm so sleepy. And confused.

I could barely make it through the rest of Lilah's game. I wanted nothing more than to be away from him.

Towards the end of the game I lied to Lilah and told her that I wasn't feeling well so I need to leave her game early and go home. She was sad but thankfully she understood and gave me her permission. Deacon obviously knew I was lying but didn't say anything or try to to stop me.

I call an Uber and it takes me back to Deacon's house. I head upstairs to my room and pack a small bag with a change of clothes and the outfit I planned on wearing to my parent's anniversary party tonight before going over to Chris's house. She doesn't ask what I'm doing here or what I needed, instead she gives me her bedroom and gives me some privacy.

I'm not angry anymore. I'm more sad than anything else.

I love him and I want to be with him but...

I need space.

He makes me smile, and when I'm with him I thought for sure I found my person.

But I'm not his person and that's a hard pill to swallow.

I'm going to have to quit being the nanny. I hated the idea of abandoning the girls suddenly but there was no way that I would be able to work around Deacon after all of this.

I walk into the kitchen and place my empty bowl of cereal into the kitchen sink when Chris answered her ringing phone.

"Hey, Deacon. What's up?" Chris greets and I freeze in front of the sink. "Mya?" She looks at me and I shake my head.

I've been gone since this morning after Lilah's game; I'm surprised it's taken him this long to try to track me down, especially with his overprotecting, second daddy act. "No, I haven't seen her. Is everything okay?" I can't hear what Deacon says but whatever he does, Chris replies. "Yeah, I'll let you know if I hear from her. K. Bye." Then she hangs up.

He texted me a few times and called, but there was no way I was replying back to him.

Chris places her phone down before walking over to stand in front of me by the sink. "What's going on?"

I shake my head. "Nothing."

She crosses her arms. "You're gonna have to do a lot better than that," she tells me. "Come on, talk to me."

"I just got into an argument with Deacon. I just need some space that's all." I explain as best as I can without telling her much.

"You look like you've been crying. Did Deacon hurt you?" She asks hesitantly. She's known Deacon for as long as I've known him and thought of him hurting me is impossible but at the end of the day Deacon is still a man, still twice my size, and I'm a young girl living in his home unsupervised.