Edge of Sanity | Layla | Fifteen

I was waiting in the living room when Tan finally returned home. He was only gone for an hour but I was a nervous wreck the entire time, my mind swarming with questions.

What if he changed his mind about us?

What if he wanted to continue his relationship with Bonnie?

What if he regret what we did and kicked me out because he didn't want to deal with the awkwardness?

I tried to remind myself that Tan was the one insistent on ending things with Bonnie as soon as possible so we could give us a real chance, which was the only thing that helped keep me from spiraling completely.

"Hi," I hedged

"Hi." Tan shut the door behind him and threw his key on the counter.

"Did you do it?" I asked as I uncrossed my legs and stood up from the couch before I made my way over to him.

"Yeah."

"How did she take it?" I wondered as I erased the distance between the two of us and Tan happily wraps his arms around my waist.

"She wasn't surprised."

"I feel horrible." I confessed as I leaned my forehead against his chest. Being the cause of another women's heartbreak wasn't something I ever wanted but here I am.

"Don't. We were both equal participants in this. I'm not thrilled about my part in this either. But it had to be done."

"I know. I just--"

"You're just a good person who did a bad thing; Bonnie will be okay. You're not a bad person Layla." Tan reaaaures me.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"Whatever we want."

***

Since Tan ended things with Bonnie, it was only fair that I ended things with Zane, so I called him up and apologized for not meeting up with him in Palm Springs and told him why. He was so nice and understanding about the whole thing. He wasn't entirely surprised himself, saying he had a feeling that Tan liked me when he picked me up for our first date all those weeks ago.

I still had to attend the book convention, so Tan and I couldn't spend the weekend together like we wanted, but we made plans to go on our first date when I got back, which between you and me couldn't come fast enough.

A cocktail of nerves sloshed around my stomach as I slipped on my sandals, the finishing touch for my date today. My bathing suit was under my dress and my hair was pulled up into a ponytail. Tan didn't tell me much except we were going to the beach, the rest was a surprise.

"You look pretty." Tan says in way of greeting when I stepped out of my bedroom.

"Thank you! You look pretty handsome yourself." He wore a pair of khaki shorts and olive green button down.

"Thank you. You ready to get out of here?" He held out his hand.

"Absolutely." I grabbed his hand and Tan immediately entwined our fingers and we were out the door.

Twenty minutes later we were pulling up to a surf shop and the nerves in my stomach intensified.

"We're going surfing?"

"Yeah," Tan hopped out of his truck. "Are you scared?"

"More like nervous." I corrected.

"Don't be. I'll be there the whole time."

"Drowning will be a suckish end to our first date." I tell them.

"Then I guess I'll just have to hold you close and make sure you don't drown." Tan replied, cheekily before he leaned over and kissed me on the lips.

The surfboard I pick out is pale yellow with pink leis on it and Tan picks out a plain teal blue one. Tan buys us both wetsuits which we put over our swim clothes before we head to the beach.

"You promise not to let me drown?" I asked as I stared at the vast ocean. I was a pretty decent swimmer but I've never surfed before but I've always wanted to and I know how much Tan loves it so I'm glad he's the one teaching me today.

"I promise you're safe with me." Tan leans in and I meet him half way and kiss him sweetly, which instantly calmed my nerves.

We set out into the water, Tan shows me how to stand on the board and how to keep my balance as waves comes and I do a pretty good job, if you don't count the times I get knocked off my board. But it's still a fun time; surfing, swimming and sneaking in a few kisses in between.

I think a part of me was worried that things would be awkward between Tan and I-- like we wouldn't know how to navigate the switch in our relationship but it was surprisingly easy.

Once we agreed to take a break, the two of us settled on our blanket and bask in the sun and each other's presence.

"How are you feeling?" Tan wonders.

"Glad to be alive," I giggle. "It was fun though. I'd definitely do it again."

"I'm glad you said that. Soon you'll be out here with me and Luca."

"You sure I won't be interrupting your bromance?" I teased. The two of them went out to the beach every Saturday morning like clockwork.

"Please. Have you seen the way you look in a bikini? Luca doesn't stand a chance." Tan chuckles.

"Sounds like you've been checking me out Victor."

"I've been doing more than checking you out." Tan tells me as he leans in close to my ear. "I've been imagining what it's gonna be like to see you strip out of that tiny bikini and bury my head between your legs." His low grumble causes me to shiver and it's not just because a fresh gust of wind blows over my cool body.

"Oh yeah? What else have you been imagining?" I arch a brow at him challengingly.

"I can show you better than I can tell you..."

"Think you can show me in the backseat?" I bite my lip to keep from laughing at Tan's surprise face but I don't miss the flicker of desire that flashes in his eyes.

"You are not as shy as I thought you were." Tan says as we begin to gather our things so we leave.

"You have no idea." I say with a giggle.
---------------------
Sorry for the late post! Was experiencing writer's block and last week was a stressful week with home and work life issues. I'm gonna try to get back on schedule again.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

4+ comments for the next chapter!

Thank you for reading 💕💕