Twelve | Mya

It took a lot of convincing, but I was able to go back and work for Deacon when I got the all clear from the hospital.

My parents wanted me to move back to my old room so they can keep an eye on me, but I reassured them that my bar hopping days were over and I wasn't going to just abandon the girls. We've grown too close and I wasn't going to leave them.

My dad wasn't thrilled, but ultimately the decision was mine to make and Deacon has proved time and time again that he cared about my safety so they knew they didn't have to worry about me getting into anything dangerous like that again.

It's been a week since I was released from the hospital. Conor was never arrested because there was no solid proof that he drugged me other than my word (which apparently wasn't enough) and I found out that he had other victims too, other girls on campus that he's raped but one disappeared off the grid, the other recanted her story, and the other wasn't talking to the police. His DNA is in the system but it didn't prove anything besides the fact that he had sex which didn't mean it wasn't consensual. But Deacon visited him again I don't think he'll bother me or any other woman again.

Taylor heard everything and when she did, she visited me at the hospital and apologized to me for ever bringing Conor into my life. She had no idea who he really was but she was done with him too. And what a relief, I'd hate for her to hang out with him now that I know what he's capable of.

Slowly, I was able to get back into a routine. Wake up early and make breakfast for Deacon which usually consisted of coffee and a breakfast sandwich then I'd go back to bed for an hour and get Lilah ready and drop her off at school, spend the day with Victoria while cleaning the house or doing the laundry or going grocery shopping, then I'd pick up Lilah from school, help her with her homework then get started on dinner. Deacon was usually home late so I'd save him a plate in the fridge and after dinner I'd get the girls showered and dressed for bed.

It was nice.

Today was one of those rare nights that Deacon was home early and actually made it in time for the night routine. But it's a Friday night which meant movie night.

I wander into the kitchen just as Lilah put a bag of popcorn into the microwave and Deacon hands me a glass of white wine.

"Thank you." I take a small sip.

"You look like you needed it." Deacon grins.

"I told my mom we'd be there on Sunday for family dinner." I tell him, then feel embarrassed because I was making plans for us like I was the woman of the house or something.

"Sounds good. It's obvious where you get your cooking skills from."

"You can thank my dad for that." I tell him, walking over to the cabinet to get a bowl so I can help Lilah pour the popcorn into.

"Daddy, what movie are we going to watch?" Lilah asks, stepping back to give me space to pour the hot popcorn into the bowl.

"What movie do you want to watch sweetie?" Deacon asked.

"Frozen!" Lilah answered excitedly.

"The first one or the second one?" Deacon asks.

"Obviously the first one or else she would've said Frozen 2." I tell him, patting him on the shoulder as if it should've been obvious.

"Right," he scoffs following after me into the living room.

Deacon and I carried our wine into the living room with Lilah behind us with the bowl popcorn. Immediately Lilah takes up the perfect spot on the lush carpet directly in front of the tv.