Edge of Sanity | Layla | Ten

There were at least a dozen different kinds of kisses. There were the sweet innocent peck on the lips. Passionate French kissing where tongues fought for dominance and there was the one I experienced with Tan. I wasn't sure how to describe it but I was sure I never experienced a kiss like that before.

It was the kind of kiss that you could feel down to your belly. The kind of kiss that clogged your senses where the only thing that I could think, taste, and feel was Tan.

Kissing Tan was like that first sip of coffee on a Sunday morning. Like the last piece cake on your birthday. Like the first rays of sun on your face after a rainy day. It was something to be savored.

"Earth to Layla," Mya waved a hand in my face. "Are you with us or are you still thinking about your kiss with Tan?" She teased.

"Wait, you kissed Tan?" Taylor, Mya's friend asked as she sat across from me at the table. "I need to hear the story behind that. But first, I need another drink."

Taylor got up and left us to head back to the bar before either Mya or me could say a word. As promised, Mya invited me to her girls day with Taylor and I was having a blast so far. We all met up at this cute tiki bar near the beach for margarita and tacos. Well, Taylor and I were drinking while Mya sipped on water.

I had my suspicions as to why but I kept it to myself. If and when she wanted to tell us why she was passing up alcohol then I was ready to hear.

Taylor was also great. Reddish brown hair, beautiful, short and sassy, the girl was hard not to like. She said the first thing on her mind and wasn't shy about it either.

At first I was a little worried about not fitting in since I'm older, but Mya and Taylor were friendly, funny, and made me feel like we've been friends forever.

"Okay, I'm back." Taylor plopped back down in her seat with the rim of her cup still on her lips as she sipped her margarita. They were both freshly twenty-one and it seemed like they were both taking advantage of the fact. "Now, how was it kissing Victor Tan?"

I blush at the memory.

"Damn. That good?" Mya giggled.

"Better," I giggle. "I swear I wanted to jump into lap right then and there."

"Ooh. I get it. Deacons kisses make me feel like that too."

"And you said I wouldn't get any stories of the hot daddy tapping the young nanny." Taylor looked pointedly at Mya.

"Hold up. Nanny?"

Mya glares at her best friend before giving me a sheepish smile. "Yeah. So..."

I listen closely as Mya summarizes how she and Deacon met and manage to keep my mouth shut as she describes how she and Deacon met and fell in love. It honestly sounded like something out of a romance novel but nope, this was Mya's real life.

The single dad falling for the beautiful nanny.

And just like readers everywhere, I ate that shit up.

"But what's going on with you and Tan?" Taylor asked. "Do you like him or was the kiss just for the dare?"

"I've been in love with Victor Tan since I saw him," I confessed. Ever since I was eighteen years old and my brother brought him over to the house for beers after a shift one day.

"Aww." Taylor gushes. "So why not tell him? Life is too short not to shoot your shot."

"He has a girlfriend." I grumble. I will admit encouraging Victor to talk to Bonnie that night wasn't my finest moment. But it was the day after I graduated college and my brother had promise to take me out for drinks to celebrate but because of some work emergency he had to cancel and Victor took his place.

I had just enough Long Island in me to think that finally telling Victor about my feelings for him was a good idea and I was going to do it to--- until Bonnie walked in the bar. I could tell by the way his eyes lit up that he was interested and any confidence I had diminished the second I saw he couldn't take his eyes off of her and instead of telling Victor how I felt, I told him to go buy Bonnie a drink and the rest is how you say- history.

"And I have red hair." Taylor replied.

"I don't see how that's important." I admit.

"Exactly. Just how it's not important that Tan has a girlfriend," Taylor explained. "I've met Bonnie and she's not half as hot as you. I say go for it."

"Taylor!" Mya gasped.

"What?" Taylor shrugged. "Look, I'm not saying for her to sleep with guy," she defends. "Just that she should tell him how she feels. He kissed you back right? So maybe he feels the same way."

The three of us finish our drinks and tacos and move on to safer topics like how the semester is going for Taylor and Mya who are both juniors at the university of California, I talk about work and how I'm excited to work with this new author I found on TikTok before both girls had to go. It was time for Mya to pick up Lilah from school and Taylor had homework she needed to catch up on.

After promising to do to this again soon, we hugged each other and said goodbye.

I wasn't in any rush to head back to the apartment and I was still craving something sweet even after all those tacos. I spotted a gas station when I was coming in and decide to grab a slushee before heading back to the apartment to work on the chapter that was sent to me because unfortunately those pages weren't going to edit themselves.

The chime on the door announces my entrance as I step inside the gas station. It's fairly empty for a Wednesday afternoon with only a few people inside and the cashier.

I roam the aisle, looking for gummy worms because hey, if I'm going to make bad decisions today, might as well make it worth it.

"Everyone get down!" A loud male voice shouts just as something that sounds like a bullet pierces the air.
Startled, I drop the bag of gummy worms on the floor just as a man appears at the end of the aisle.

White male. Late twenties. Armed.

"Let's go princess." He aims his gun at me and my hands shoot up in surrender as I walk towards the back of the store with the other customers.

I sneak a glance to see another armed gunman at the cash register aiming his gun at the cashier.

"Don't shoot." The cashier shakes with fear.

"Eyes on me princess." The gunman pushes me until I'm down on my knees. I scramble along the floor with the other hostages. "Do what I'm telling you and maybe you don't get carried out of here in a body bag."

Thank you for reading!5+ comments for the next chapter!

5+ comments for the next chapter!