Twenty-One | Mya

When my heart skips a beat at the sound of the door opening I know that Deacon is home from work. I sit up straight on the couch and turn my head the same moment Deacon enter the room.

He's dressed in his uniform and I swear he gets hotter and hotter every time I see him.

"Hey beautiful." He comes over to the couch and plants a swift kiss to my lips.

"Hi." I smile, running my hands over his beard, enjoying the way the hairs tickle my fingers. "How was work?"

"Not bad. It was one of the easier cases we had this week."

"That's good to hear." I smile.

"What about you? What did you do today?"

"Well I just finished signing up for spring classes." I beam.

"Oh, so you're back to school?"

"Well yeah. The plan was only to take some time off to be closer to my family and help you out." I remind him.

"That's good." Deacon smiles but I can tell he's being a little reserved.

"What's the matter?" I question.

"Nothing. I just wonder what that means for me and the girls?"

"Well, One, I'm going to UCLA so you don't have to worry about me moving back to Florida and two, the classes are all online so I'll still have time to help you with the girls." I reassure him.

"Sounds like you have this all figured out." He replies.

"Kinda." I smirk. "Do you have anything else you want to tell me?"

"Yeah, get dressed. I'm taking you out tonight." Deacon surprises me by saying.

"Are you asking me on a date David Kay?" I grin.

"I am."

"Then you need to ask me properly." I tell him, feigning seriousness.

"Will you go out with me Mya Harrelson?" Deacon asks me somberly.

There goes those butterflies. "I would love to." I grin before kissing him quickly on the lips.

I hurry off upstairs and begin to get ready.

~~~~~

"Mya, let's go! We're going to be late." Deacon hollers to me from downstairs.

I look over at myself in the mirror one last time; I curled my hair and wore a satin rose gold dress with a high slit that stopped just above my thighs and I paired it with a pair of gold heels. My makeup was subtle apart from my brown lips.

Once I'm sure I like what I see, I switch the light off in room and head down the stairs feeling giddy about going on my first date with Deacon.

I reach the top of the stairs to see Deacon waiting for me dressed in a suit. He looks up from his watch and I smile a little when I see his eyes brighten as he looks at me.

Stop looking at me like that or I might fall for you ...

I do want to fall for him but I'm scared that this might only be a fling; that he might only see me as some mid-life crisis decision.

Deacon holds out his hand for me to take when I reach the last step and I entwine our fingers together  and smile at how natural it feels.

"You look stunning." Deacon tells me solemnly.

"Thank you." I peck his lips. "And you look very handsome." I caress his cheek, and I begin to wonder if I'm becoming obsessed with his beard.