Edge of Sanity | Tan | Eight

Kiss Layla.

I glare at Mya before looking over at Layla who looked thoroughly repulsed at the idea of kissing me. I didn't know if I should be insulted or relieved so I decided on the latter.

I shouldn't care that kissing me seemed like the last thing Layla wanted to do. Game or not, I had a girlfriend who I was completely devoted to, but as my gaze travel down to Layla's lips one more time tonight, I can't help but wonder if they were as soft as they appeared. Would they taste as sweet as she smelled? The need to find out override everything else.

"You too scared to do a dare Davis? I didn't realize the big city made you soft." I teased her. I notice the way her eyes lit up as she heard the challenge in my voice.

"Try not to fall in love with me Victor." Layla tells me before she kisses me. I freeze for a second, momentarily stunned that this was actually happening but Layla's sharp intake of breath doused any apprehension I had and I was moving my lips against hers. Her lips were soft, like the inside of a rose and her lips tasted like citrus and apples thanks to the wine she was drinking and I groaned. No one should ever taste this sweet.

Layla's hand travels from my neck to my face and stays there, her thumb caressing my cheek as she kisses me back just as desperately. Our lips moved perfectly in sync, teasing and testing until someone clears their throat, bringing us back to reality and pulling us apart as if we're drenched by a bucket of ice.

"We said kiss, not make out." Deacon said, trying to lighten up the mood.

A blush creeps up Layla's cheek as she scoots further down the couch as far away from me as possible. It still wasn't far enough. I could still smell her perfume, still feel her soft hand on my face, still taste her on my lips.

"Okay, so I think it's my turn." Layla cleared her throat. I cast a look her way and maybe to someone who didn't know her as well I did she may have looked normal but I could tell by the flush in her cheeks and the slight shake of her hands as she reaches for the wine glass that our kiss effected her.

We stay for another hour before we decided to call it a night and Layla and I our make our way to the door but not before Layla is inviting Deacon and Mya for dinner soon wanting to return the favor.

The car ride back to the apartment is silent aside from the low voices of various artists as songs play on the radio.

"You okay?" I ask Layla as we step inside the apartment. "You've been quiet since we left Deacon's."

"Oh yeah, I'm fine. I guess all that food and wine made me a little sleepy." Layla answered.

"Oh..." I was kinda hoping she was gonna say something about the kiss. "Okay."

"You were pretty quiet too. I didn't know wine made you a lightweight." Layla said with a teasing glint in her voice.

"Very funny," I said as I strolled over the fridge. "Can I get you a water?

"Yes please." Layla follows me into the kitchen before plopping down on the counter and I kept help but notice the way the dress hikes up slightly revealing a patch of smooth brown skin. I clear my throat to distract myself as I hand her back her water. "So thanks again for introducing me to Mya. She seems fun. I'm excited to go out with her."

"I knew you'd like her. Mya is the best." I agree. She may be young, but she was a sweetheart and she pulled out a side of Deacon I was sure that myself and the rest of the team wasn't even sure existed.

"She can be a little sneaky though," Layla said. "That kiss..."

"I can't believe we did that." I admit or how much I really wanted to do it again.

"Me neither. Are you going to tell Bonnie?" Layla wondered.

Was I? Bonnie was already worried that their might be something going on between us and it wasn't like I was cheating. It was a simple kiss in the name of fun and games. Otherwise it would have never happened.

"I don't think so. She already thinks there's something going on between us." I admit.

"Really?"

"Yeah. But I told her that she has nothing to worry about."

"She doesn't. You're like a big brother to me." Layla said, which is nothing I haven't heard before so why did it anger me to hear her say it now?

"And you're like a little sister to me." I replied.

"Good. Well now that that's settled, I'm gonna take a shower then head to bed. I'm having breakfast with Zane in the morning." Layla tells me as she hops down from the counter.

"Really?" I glare as I watch her make her way to her room. We just kissed two hours ago and she's already thinking about going out with another man?

"Yeah. He texted me while we were at Mya's and Deacon's and I said yes."

"So what, is the guy your boyfriend now?" I asked, an unwelcome feeling settled low in my stomach.

"No, but if things keep going the way they are, maybe he will be." She replied smiling.

"I still think you're going too fast with this guy Layla."

"Says the guy who slept with Bonnie the same night he met her?" She shoots back. "I'm not judging but I think it's unfair how you put me on this pedestal Victor. I finally have a guy who is interested in me, sweet and likes some of the things that I do. So no, I'm not going to stop seeing him just because you don't like him. I wish you'd just be happy for me."

"You're right. I'm sorry." I rush out to say. "I hope you have a good time tomorrow." I tell her before I make my way to my own room. Once I have the door safely shut behind me I fall back into my bed and let out a frustrated sigh. As if things weren't already confusing enough.

I toss and turn in bed for what feels like hours before my eyes finally start to feel heavy and I'm more determined than ever to keep things strictly just friends between Layla and I.

That kiss meant nothing.

And it would never happen again.