Ten | Deacon

All I see is red

All I see is red.

The last time I ever felt anger and fear this deeply was when Annie was in surgery and now I was facing the same deep fear as I drive past the city limits to get to Mya.

Through my haze, common sense prevails and I fish out my cellphone and dial Hondo's number. It's just after two in the morning, I know he and Nichelle would be asleep, but as Mya's parents they needed to know what was happening.

"Yo, Deac, it's late. What's up?"

"Hondo. It's Mya."

"What happened?" Immediately he's on high alert.

"She went out dancing with some friends and one of the guys she was with put something in her drink. She didn't sound too good Hondo. I'm on the way over to her now. Figured you needed to know and see how you wanted to handle this." I tell him, pushing on the gas when I saw the light turned red. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her because I didn't get there in time.

"What club? I'm on my way." Hondo says.

"Nuisance." I answer before I clip the call and focus back on the road.

There's a line outside the club when I get there and I walk past everyone, ignoring their groans of frustration and words of anger until I got to the bouncer and pulled out my badge.

"Metro S.W.A.T." I tell him and he immediately lets me go inside the club.

The music is on full blast, the walls shake from the bass, the air is a mixture of weed, sweat, and desire and bodies upon bodies rub against one another.

Jesus. Now I remember why I always tell Street no whenever he invites me out.

I didn't like it then and I sure as hell don't like it now.

I elbow my way through the crowd, pushing drunk guys out of the way and gently moving the the women to the side until I find the sign for the restrooms. I head into the bathroom for women, meeting the less than thrilled look on a few women's faces.

"Sorry ladies. LAPD." I hold up my badge and they all walk out quickly one after another. "Mya!" I call out, but I don't get a response. "Mya!" I call again, opening stall after stall. "Mya?" I look down to see a pair of gold heels on the floor and when I look over the stall I see my worst fear come to pass, Mya is on the floor leaning against the stall unconscious. "Mya!" I kick the door open and immediately bend down and bring her into my arms. I check for a heart beat and I get one, but it's faint. "Stay with me Mya." I tell her before scooping her into my arms and walking out the bathroom with her.

The lights on the building are on and the music has stopped. I see Hondo and Nichelle who storms over to me the second they see me. "Talk to me Deac. How's my baby girl?"

"She's still alive. I got a pulse, but it's weak." I tell him, before reluctantly releasing her into his arms. EMT comes over and Hondo lays her gently on the stretcher and the EMT's get to work.