Edge of Sanity | Layla | Five

I bought all the dresses the saleswoman suggested and thankfully Tan didn't say another word about any of them.

"I'm done for the day." I announce as we walk out the store. I wasn't as excited as I was when we first started shopping. Tan losing his mind about every outfit I tried on and calling me a hooker was definitely a mood buster. I'm still not sure what his problem is. I wish he would stop treating me like I'm some kid that he needs to protect.

"Hey, I'm sorry about the way I acted in there." Tan apologizes as we make our way down the escalator, my bags in his hand.

"It's okay. Just remind me to never ask you to go shopping with me again." I grin at him.

"Fair enough." Tan chuckles.

"Look, do you remember when you met Bonnie? You were visiting me in New York so we went to a bar and she was there with her friends?"

First tan thought she'd just be some out of town hook-up but when he realized that he actually liked her and that she was only in New York for work; she's a sports journalist who was sent to cover a story about a local Hockey Player. Once Tan learned that she lived in LA too they reconnected again and the rest is history.

Tan nods. "Of course I remember."

"Remember how I told you to make your move because I could just tell she was a good person? And now look, you two have been together for almost two years now. My point is, I have good instincts about people. So I need you to trust me when I say that this guy is good." I tell him.

"I just wish you'd tell me his name." Tan admits as we make it to the mall entrance.

"So you can have one of your buddies at work run a background check on him? You're not slick Victor Tan."

"Well you can't blame me for trying." Tan says. "Seriously, I am sorry for the way I acted in there. I didn't mean anything I said."

"I know."

"So we're good?" Tan wonders, a worried knot between his brow.

"We're good." I reassure him before he presses a kiss to my temple.

***
I was this close to saying fuck it and go on this date naked.

I huff in frustration as I try and struggle to bring the zipper up my back. I was able to do it in the dressing room the other day, but right now it was proving to be very difficult.

Giving up on the idea of doing it by myself, I walk over the door and poke my head out, searching for Tan. He's sitting on the couch with Bonnie while they watched a movie.

"Hey, Tan?" I call out.

"What's up?" He cranes his head around to look at me.

"I can't zip up my dress. You think you can give me a hand?" I ask.

Tan looks back at Bonnie. "You okay if I leave you alone for a second?"

"Of course." Bonnie smiles reassuringly. Without another word of encouragement, Tan stands up from the couch and makes his way towards me.

I back up into the room so he can step in. A tiny spark of happiness surges through me when I see his eyes widen at my appearance. I'm wearing the silk red dress that I bought at the mall yesterday with transparent heels that reminded me of glass slippers.

"Wow. Layla... you look incredible." Victor tells me.

"Thank you." I smile brightly. His compliment made me feel all warm and giddy.

I don't say another word until Tan comes to stand behind me. I move my hair from my back to over my shoulders. I jump slightly when Tan places his hand at the small of my back.