Four | Deacon

The team was on their feet when they see me approach

"Thanks for coming out here today Deacon." Commander Hicks tells me.

"It's for charity right?" I wave off his gratitude before greeting the rest of the team. Playing today was Tan, Street, Brockner, Luca and of course Hondo.

I look over at Mya's dad, my best-friend, taking in his six feet frame and muscular built. He was intimidating with and without the uniform.

"What are you doing here man? I thought Nichelle would have you locked up after your hospital visit."

"She tried to," He admits. "But you know you can't keep this old dog down for long. I cleared it with Hicks who said I was good to be with my team for today. Besides, how else are you going to win without me?" Hondo teases and I playfully smack him in the chest. "Where are the girls?"

"In the stands with Cortez." I point them out. Even from this distance I can see Lilah glancing around the field as she sips from a water bottle while Mya bounced Victoria on her knee to make her laugh.

"How's Mya doing?" Hondo asks.

"We had a rough first day," I admit. "But she's gotten the hang out of it now. The girls love her and it's been really nice to have help on the home front again." I tell him. "Thanks again for letting her do this."

"I didn't let her do anything man. Mya's an adult. You're getting extra help with the girls and I get my baby girl for Friday night dinners again. It's a win-win." Hondo assured me.

The sound of a whistle blowing captures my attention and I turn my head to see the referee motioning for everyone to get in their places because the game was about to start.

***

I pull the cap off my head, wiping away the sweat off my forehead before heading back to Mya. I didn't get a chance to go check on her and the girls the last thirty minutes. Guilt starts to wind its way into the pit of my stomach.

I start to head for the stands when I hear an excited "daddy" being called.

I turn my head just in time to see Lilah running over to me. I caught her before she could knock me down and lift her into my arms just as Mya comes over with Victoria.

"You guys enjoyed the game?" I ask.

"You were amazing daddy." Lilah smiles at me.

"Thank you princess." I smash a kiss to her cheek.

"You were great out there Mr. Kay. You have some serious skills." Mya tells me. Her calling me Mr. Kay was weird. It was fine when she was little, cute even, but now it just felt wrong.