Edge of Sanity | Layla | Fourteen

I just had sex with Tan.

My brother's best friend.

The guy I've had a crush on since I was sixteen years old.

This was the last thing I expected, especially after how things have been between us the last few days, but here we were.

Our soft breathing filled the silence in the room and I buried my face into Tan's neck as he traced an invisible line down my spine.

I didn't want to move. I didn't want to break our bubble, but now that the orgasm haze has lifted, the chiding voice of my subconscious rear its ugly head, reminding me that Bonnie was still in the picture and as much as I wanted to be with Tan, we couldn't be together until he ended that relationship.

"Tan?" I was the first to break the silence.

"Hmmm?" Tan's hand stilled.

"Bonnie." The lord word was simple but it held the weight of all the questions I wanted to say but was too afraid to ask.

Tan sighed before pulling me closer. "I need to break up with her."

Guilt slammed into me. I wasn't the kind of girl who slept with someone's boyfriend. I'm suddenly ashamed with myself. I should've stopped this from going this far the second Tan kissed me. But it was Tan.

The same guy who waited in line with me for hours at the DMV when I got my license.

The same guy who would always pick up my favorite ice cream on his way home from a shift.

If you would've told sixteen year old me that I would be wrapped up in Victor Tan's arm after the best sex of my life, I wouldn't have believed you. But here I am, content and warm in his arms.

"This shouldn't have happened." I tell him.

His grip on me tightened. "What are you saying?"

"You're still dating Bonnie; I should've never let it go this far."

"I know. You said you were going to Zane and I just snapped; the thought of this guy touching you..." rage colored his face. "I wasn't thinking about Bonnie." He confessed. "But I am now and what we did was wrong- I mean not wrong because I'm glad that it happened-- but I should've ended things with Bonnie first."

We were both wrong. There was no point in us trying to shoulder the blame alone.

"You should've," I agreed before I pushed myself off his chest and sat upright. "So until you do... we go back to being friends."

Friends?

Friends?

She was insane if she thought we could go back to just being friends after what just happened.

"I'm sorry Layla, but there's no way we can go back to being friends after this." I pull her close enough so I can place a kiss on her shoulder.

"Then you need to break up with your girlfriend."

She was right. I couldn't sleep with Layla again and see if we had a real shot at a relationship until I ended things with Bonnie. I never ever thought I would cheat on the woman I was with but Layla steamrolled into my life and turned everything upside down.

Shamed unfurled in my stomach knowing what I did. But as bad as I feel, I don't regret what happened. This thing with Layla was a long time coming - I knew that now. But that didn't mean I didn't feel bad-- especially knowing how Bonnie felt about Layla moving here in the first place. She was worried something like this would happened and I was confident she was wrong but it looks like she saw what it took me a while to see from the very beginning-- which was it was always meant to be Layla.

Bonnie was an incredible woman-- beautiful, smart, always down for an adventure but she wasn't Layla and it wasn't fair to her if I let her think things between us is still good. So, as much as it would hurt me to hurt Bonnie, I knew what I had to do.

I reached for my phone on the nightstand and sent a quick text to Bonnie asking her to meet me at the coffee shop from across her place to which she agreed.

I turned to Layla. "Okay, it's done. I'm meeting with Bonnie in an hour so we can talk."

"That was fast."

"I wasted enough time when I could've been with you. I'm not wasting any more." I told her.

"You're making it impossible not to kiss you right now." Layla said which made me chuckle.

"You telling me? The only thing I can think about right now is being buried inside you and hearing you scream my name." I confess and I delight in the color I see tinting in her cheeks. How was it possible that someone can be so sexy and adorable at the same time?

"Go," She pushed at my shoulder so that I could get out of bed. "Talk to Bonnie. I'll be here when you get back."

***

Thirty minutes later I see Bonnie walking towards me with a nervous smile. I wait to feel a glimpse of the feelings I felt for the last three years but all I feel now is the full ache of where love once resided.

"Hey you," Bonnie leaned in for a kiss and when I didn't kiss her back, a knot formed between her brows. "Your message sounded urgent. Is everything okay?"

"Have a seat," Ignored her question and pulled out a seat for her instead.

"Victor, what's going on?"

"I'm not sure how to say this so I'm just gonna come out and say it," I exhaled deeply. "I think we should break up."

"What?" Bonnie let out a shaky breath. "It's because of Layla isn't it?"

I sighed. "Yeah."

Bonnie shook her head in disbelief. "I wish I could say I'm surprised but I'm not. The minute she got here you started acting different."

"I'm sorry. I didn't plan for this happened. I honestly thought she was just a friend."

"Anyone with eyes could see you had feelings for her," Bonnie paused. "I just kept telling myself that you love me."

"And I do," I quickly reassure her. "Bonnie you're an incredible woman. This thing with Layla--"

"Why now? Did you sleep with her?" Bonnie demanded and when I don't answer she gets her answer.

"I'm so sorry Bonnie. You know I would never do anything to intentionally hurt you."

"But you did," Tears begin to well up in her eyes. "Goodbye Victor."
-----------
Author Note: I don't condone cheating. For the sake of the story, this has to happen. Please no harsh comments.

Thank you for reading!

3+ comments for the next chapter ❤️