The Portkey

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„Our greatest glory is not in never failing,
but in rising every time we fall."

The next morning dawned far too early for Serena's liking and quite as it appeared, she possessed a personal, if rather unpleasant, alarm clock. Grumbling, she pulled her hand under the covers when it was touched by something warm and rather wet. A moment later she felt a pressure on her blanket and as a hot breath blew through the loose strands of hair in her braid, she finally blinked into the dim light. Two big grey eyes were already looking at her expectantly.

"Aaahh!" she shrieked, pushing the big black dog off her bed. Immediately he burst into a laughing bark and ran joyfully out the door, straight into the twins' room. Sleepily, Serena looked after him and could only shake her head. Groaning, she ran her hand over her face.

It was still dark outside and only the bright glow of the moon fell into her room. At first Serena wondered what her father was doing waking her up in the middle of the night and was about to go back to sleep when she remembered what was coming up that day. The Quidditch World Cup! Groaning, but with rising anticipation, Serena peeled herself out of bed and she could now hear loud swearing coming from the next room. This was revenge for her victory.

Downstairs in the kitchen, Mrs Weasley was already hard at work stirring a pot, while Fred, George, Harry and Remus were already sitting wearily at the dining table. Sirius was still lying in his Animagus form on the marble floor between Remus and Harry, dozing off. Serena finally sat down next to the latter and silently began to gnaw on a grain roll. She was anything but talkative in the early morning.

A few moments later, Mr Weasley also strolled down the stairs with his youngest son. The head of the Weasleys had dressed up in his own special way; he wore a sweater paired with stone-old jeans cinched with a wide leather belt. Theatrically, he spread his arms for them to inspect his attire. "What do you think?" he asked expectantly. "We are supposed to travel incognito. Do I look like a Muggle, Harry?"

"Hmm," Harry replied in more or less agreement. Serena didn't know if he was still so tired and hadn't really looked or if he simply didn't want to put a damper on the Weasley head's euphoria.

"Where are Bill, Charlie and Percy?" yawned Ron and sat down at the table with them, apparently still half in a dream. His eyes were not even fully open and his red hair stood tangled from his head.

"They want to apparate," his mother replied, heaving the big pot onto the table and ladling porridge into the bowls. "So they can sleep in a little longer."

"So they're still sleeping?" grumbled Fred sullenly, pulling an oatmeal bowl towards him. Half-heartedly, he poked at it with a fork. His mother then sighed and put a spoon in his hand and finally let her eyes wander over the empty seats at the breakfast table. "Where are the rest of the girls anyway?"