The Goblet of Fire

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"Where is the fun
without a bit of risk?"

Despite the fact that it was Saturday, Serena had to get up early in the morning to make her way to the greenhouse for Fred and George's sake. She didn't seem to be the only one who had got up earlier than usual, because quite a few students were already sitting in the Great Hall chewing their toast. Presumably they didn't want to miss their classmates throwing their names into the Goblet of Fire.

The Great Hall had been transformed that morning. As it was Halloween, a cloud of real bats fluttered about on the enchanted ceiling and grinning carved-out pumpkins with funny or scary grins peered out from the corners. A cluster of students had gathered around the goblet set up in the middle of the hall and were heatedly discussing who might have secretly thrown their name in during the night. Many of the names that had been thrown in were pure speculation, and in the most likely case the person had only gone to the toilet.

Sleepily, Serena settled down at the Gryffindors' table and began to nibble on a croissant. She liked the presence of the international students more and more. The Durmstrangs also seemed to be early risers, for at that moment a whole horde entered the Great Hall. They marched straight past all the tables in step. With their alert and well-rested faces, they seemed to have only one goal in mind.

Almost at the same moment, it became quiet as a mouse and the crowd that had formed around the Goblet of Fire retreated. All eyes, without exception, were on the foreign students. The Durmstrangs went to the Goblet of Fire with heads held high and proud expressions and threw their names into the goblet one after the other, which then shone brightly with a blue-white light. As quickly as they had come, they disappeared again, leaving behind gawping students and their breakfast.

Disappointed, Serena sat back. Unfortunately, she had not been able to spot Viktor Krum in the crowd. But there was no doubt that he wanted to take part in the tournament.

A little later, Serena found it difficult to leave the breakfast table. But finally she went outside to get the Bubotuber pus for the twins. She fervently hoped that she could find gloves somewhere in the greenhouse, otherwise she would have a big problem. Not only would the liquid burn her hands. It would also be immediately clear who had secretly tampered with the pus.

Sultry and stuffy air met her as she opened the transparent door and peered cautiously inside. Serena was about to enter the glass house when she suddenly spotted a person in the far corner. Startled, she flinched and was about to run away when she realised who it was.

"Neville?"

Her housemate looked up and smiled faintly at her. "Oh, hello Serena."