A date for the ball

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„You're always one decision away
from a totally different life."

When Serena woke up in her bed, she was freezing cold. The window was open, so the chilling wind found a way through the crimson curtains blowing in it. The duvet, meanwhile, lay crumpled at the end of her bed and a shiver had prepared itself on her fair skin, while her feet had already gone completely numb.

With Mrs Szymanski's help, they had actually managed to get back to the town's centre and from there to Hogwarts in time before the gates would have been closed and they would have been in mighty trouble.

Sighing, Serena had sat down at her desk the night before and written on a piece of parchment with her quill, which would serve as a letter to her mother. It probably hadn't been very wise to buy a dress without first having permission to go to the ball in the first place. But it had been a knee-jerk reaction under time pressure.

Hey Mum,
I know this is probably a bit sudden and a bit late... But there's a special event at Hogwarts this year, a ball to be precise, and I'd love to go. The problem is, it falls right on Christmas.
I know you took extra time off, but would you be okay with me staying this holiday? I would definitely make it up to you in the summer!
I miss you,
Serena

Satisfied and yet plagued by a guilty conscience, Serena had finally folded up the letter and put it in an envelope. Shortly afterwards, she had set off for the Owlery, so that her mother wouldn't find out about her plans any later than she already would.

On the way there, she had run into Hall, of all people, and his two appendages. But Serena had decided not to pay any more attention to either of them than necessary, and Hall didn't give her a glance either. Apparently he was still a little pissed off because of her kick or the rebuff. Possibly both.

The sun had already risen, bathing the sky outside in a sleepy pink, where the first snowflakes of this year's winter danced. Tired, Serena peeled herself out of bed and she didn't even try to go back to sleep. She felt as if she hadn't slept a minute, for a bad dream of silvery strands entwining her entire body like snakes had plagued her through the night. At least that and the fact that they had taken her breath away were the only things she could remember.

Even during breakfast, the Gryffindor could hardly hide her tiredness and stirred listlessly in her porridge. At that moment, the fluttering of thousands of wings sounded and, as every Sunday morning, pure chaos broke out. Feathers sailed down onto the four house tables and soon packages and letters were being dropped everywhere. Serena was not spared either and had not actually expected such an early response.