A Disastrous Diagnosis

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„The worst nightmares
are experienced
with eyes
wide awake."

Serena didn't dare look at her father or Remus for the first moment as she slowly opened her mouth and little more than a huff escaped from it. "I-I die?"

Madam Pomfrey nodded gloomily. "If it's not treated."

"But you can, can't you?" her father inquired in a strangely hollow voice, and had gripped the frame of the bed so tightly that his knuckles had turned all white. Serena stared at her blanket, hoping it was all just a dream. A goddamn nightmare that had given her the delirium of the poison.

The healer lowered her gaze. "I'm afraid that's not in my power, it's part of the higher art of potions and goes far beyond healing."

Well, this was getting better and better.

"Meaning?" he grudgingly echoed, but eventually they all knew what that meant.

"I will speak to Professor Snape immediately," she explained with a serious expression. "Until we find a solution, I will give Miss Black a potion that will slow the whole process down a little. However, it is very important that you do not fall asleep."

Serena nodded slowly, trying to ignore the rising tiredness that had taken hold of her earlier. "I-I'll c-can manage," Serena quavered, trying to sound optimistic, even if she didn't quite manage to do so authentically. "I-it w-will be fine."

Her father, meanwhile, took off his leather jacket and wrapped Serena in it as he muttered to himself in disbelief. "Y-yeah... It will be fine..."

Meanwhile, Remus pulled the blanket off the bed across from him, where Hall had made himself comfortable earlier, and placed it over Serena as well, who by now felt like a caterpillar in a cocoon. But despite the numerous layers, she was still shivering, as if the cold was coming directly from within her and the warmth was being shielded from her skin. The last blanket brought with it the scent of a tart male cologne with a slight hint of vanilla, which made Serena wrinkle her nose.

The smell of stalking Slytherins.

"Th-thank you," Serena murmured, noting that gradually, slowly but steadily, a comforting warmth was spreading through her body.

"I'm going to kill Snivellus," her father growled and made to storm out the door, but Remus stopped him.

"I know, Sirius..." he said slowly and matter-of-factly at the same time. "I'd love to help you with this, but if you go to him now, Snivellus won't help Serena anymore. Better we make nice with him until the matter is settled."