Conversations and Provocations

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"Maybe you don't go to hell
for the things you do.
Maybe you go to hell for the things
you don't do.
The things you don't finish."

Serena was only aware of her surroundings in fuzzy outlines as she pushed her way through the dimly lit hall and the numerous dancing couples without thinking about where she was going. From her point of view, the evening was a complete disaster and it didn't get any better when someone blocked her path. "Hey, where are you going?"

"Outside."

"Okay."

"Without you, Hall," Serena hissed as he made a move to follow her, two glasses in his hands. For a millisecond his bright eyebrows drew together before he tightened his stance, merely looking more like his older brother. "As your escort, I will not allow you to go out alone. You don't have to talk to me for all I care, but you shouldn't go alone."

Defiantly, the Gryffindor crossed both arms in front of her chest, wanting nothing more at that moment than to just be alone. Nevertheless, she gave a sigh and stayed where she was for the time being. "And why not?"

The usual grin stole onto Hall's face. After clearing his throat and in a silly know-it-all sounding voice, he began to make his point, "Well, first of all, it's dark, who knows what and who's out there drunk, and secondly, nothing against your off-the-shoulder dress, quite the opposite, but it is a bit cold in winter."

Serena raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"Well, you'd be warmer with this," he noted, taking off his cloak to drape it over her shoulders. "And if that's not enough, we could go a little tighter..."

"Thank you," she interrupted him at the impish smirk that had formed around his lips. "Fine, come with me then."

The portal stood open and the fluttering fairies in the entryway winked and twinkled as they descended the front steps. Silently they trotted out side by side and as the freezing air enveloped them, Serena was actually glad of the extra cloak and the comforting warmth it provided. Even though she would never openly admit it, of course.

Serena had already noticed that the castle looked even more beautiful at night when she had first arrived and taken the small boat across the lake. And yet the sight enchanted her anew every time. The grey towers shone brightly in the light of the moon, and the illuminated windows competed with it in bright gold. For a brief moment, they made Serena forget why they had left the ball head over heels in the first place.

"Can we sit down for a moment?" she asked, pointing to one of the benches along the path that wound artfully further into the darkness.