Wake up little girl

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other."

A bright light penetrated Serena's eyelids and slowly pulled her upward, to the surface. It was as if she was floating in the middle of a dark ocean, and the further she rose, the more the pressure was taken off her head and the brighter the water became.

Turquoise blue.

The color was beautiful and in a messed up way it also looked suspiciously familiar to her. The sun's rays tickled her face, leaving a comforting warm and safe feeling on her skin, while the light continued to stubbornly bore into her eyelids as if to entice her to finally open her eyes.

Was this the end?

It didn't feel like it.

On the contrary, she felt completely rested. All her pains were gone. But perhaps they would return as soon as she opened her eyes? Maybe it was just a hallucination that wanted to make her believe that she was miraculously healed? Perhaps only a few seconds had passed since she had closed her eyes and her body was still fighting the death battle that it could only lose.

Serena took one deep breath and finally blinked into the bright sunlight. She felt it more intensely than ever and savored every second of the feeling of clearly still being alive.

Confused, she looked around. She was still lying in the hospital wing and the rose to her right was blooming more magnificently than ever. Her eyes continued to wander around the bright room. Remus was half lying on one of the beds in an uncomfortable looking position and her mother was sitting next to her father with her head leaning against his shoulder. All of them seemed to be sound asleep, which was probably nothing unusual after two sleepless nights.

Serena cleared her throat loudly, but she got no response back. She flipped the blankets aside and was glad not to be struck by a chill. Her temperature felt normal. After the last two feverish days, this felt unusual, but quite comfortable. Carefully she let herself slide off the mattress, realizing that she was still a bit wobbly on her feet. With one hand she just managed to hold on to the bedside table to avoid falling down. In addition, there was a sudden feeling of dizziness that made her sway. But this was nothing compared to the miserable hours she had endured the previous evening.

Perhaps she should get something to eat. The last meal, which she had completely tolerated, had been quite a while ago, after all. This assumption was confirmed by a rumbling stomach and an unpleasant feeling of emptiness in her middle. Serena braved bare feet to Remus, who was closest to her, and nudged him. "Remus?"