Encounters in the forest

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„So it's gonna be forever
or it's gonna go down in flames."

Serena did not know how long she had been lying on the damp forest floor. It could have been minutes, but it could also have been hours. Her hands touched the earthy ground and the slightly damp leaves. Her head was pounding, making it difficult for her to get a clear thought. Even before her eyes, still closed, it was spinning. She felt as if she were in the middle of a merry-go-round. It was hard to tell if the warm breath tickling her face was real or just a figment of her brain with a spinning worm.

Serena needed reassurance that she had not been found by a wild animal or even one of the masked wizards. Despite her fear of who or what might be waiting for her, she slowly opened her eyelids. She stared directly into a face that was very close to hers. Too close. So close that the tips of their noses almost touched and she could make out the colour of her counterpart's eyes; turquoise blue.

"Get off me!" she ordered gruffly as she realised who was bending over her lifeless body. To her satisfaction, the boy actually backed away. "Calm down Black, I just wanted to make sure you were still breathing."

"With your face?" asked Serena, raising an eyebrow. A talent she was particularly proud of. Through it, however, she also noticed the pounding pain that was slowly but steadily spreading through her head. After everything around her had stopped moving, she slowly began to grasp details of her surroundings. She didn't seem to have been unconscious for long, at least, because little had changed in the flashes of light and the screaming.

"Well, I'm not a healer!" defended Edmund Hall, raising his arms placatingly, which he folded in front of his slender torso a moment later. "Why are you just lying here anyways?"

"I was looking for my friends and then I tripped," Serena explained before she could even decide that she didn't owe the Slytherin an account. Another stab went through her head. She gasped and began to scan her head for a serious injury. As she did so, she did not take her eyes off Hall. He was still standing there with his arms folded in front of his rather lanky figure with long limbs. He was still wearing the light blue robe from the World Cup, as if he hadn't thought it necessary to change. As if he had suspected it. Suspiciously, Serena frowned. "So where is your friend Malfoy?"

"Actually, he's my cousin," he noted, not really enthusiastically, "and I don't care where he is. He's probably crying to his mummy right now."

Serena struggled to her feet and only now realised how badly her head was actually throbbing. She quickly realised that getting up had not been a good idea. Once again the ground began to spin beneath her and she staggered forward a few steps.