Alone in Hogsmeade

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„You feel very romantic
when you're in a ball gown.
Everyone should wear one once in a while"

The roads leading to Hogsmeade were more crowded than ever and Serena was having great difficulty even getting into the wizarding village with Hailey. Crowds of students crowded down the street, either to buy the perfect dress for the ball or to escape the December cold in the Three Broomsticks.

Wrapped in her cosy coat, Serena trudged past the pretty little houses accompanied by her excited best friend. With a heavy heart, she looked after Zonko's and Honeydukes as she was mercilessly pulled on by Hailey.

The dress shop Gladrags Wizardwear was not hard to find, for the huge cluster of girls that had formed in front of it, it was impossible to miss from a distance. Serena could only guess through the windows how crowded the shop must be. Hailey seemed to have a similar thought running through her head as she contorted her face unhappily. "I'll never find my dream dress!"

"You'll be lucky if you get a dress at all," Serena muttered, eyeing the jostling girls at the entrance doubtfully. There had even been a worker placed there to keep the clientele under control and merely allow a certain number into the shop, who had to do the business of a lifetime. Hailey made a move to jump into the middle of the hustle and bustle. In disbelief, Serena stared at her and held her back by the arm. No ten hippogriffs would get her in there. She hated crowds. "I'm not going in there."

"But then how am I supposed to buy a dress?" whined Hailey sullenly. Serena sighed and made a self-explanatory hand gesture towards the shop. "See that queue there? You won't get anywhere near a dress until curfew anyway."

"Well, looking for a dress too?" a familiar voice suddenly asked from behind the two girls. Ginny and Hermione had joined them and also pulled long faces when they saw the crowd. The thought of possibly not getting a dress for the ball tilted the mood considerably.

"Yeah, Hailey at least," Serena sighed, nodding in the direction of the distraught Hufflepuff. Ginny looked at her with wide eyes. "Don't tell me you're not going."

Serena shook her head. "I'm going home," she replied, now finding the fact not so bad considering the circumstances. Because as it was, she wouldn't have been able to get a decent dress anyway. "What about you? Isn't the ball only for fourth years and above?"

"Actually, it is," she grinned. "But someone invited me as an escort. I'm not going to miss that!"

"Isn't there another shop that sells dresses?" interjected Hermione, shivering, and wrapped her lined brown trench coat tighter around her body. But this question could not be answered by any of the others, who looked around helplessly.