Adverse effects

• Serena Black •

• Serena Black •

„Some are born mad,
some achieve madness,
and some have madness
thrust upon 'em."

Serena was awakened by a miserable feeling and a hellish headache that roared through her head like an out-of-tune brass band. Slowly, she also began to perceive sounds from the distance that seemed to be getting closer and closer. But perhaps it was her who was slowly returning to reality? Gradually the reason for her discomfort dawned on her and that someone was sitting directly to her right.

Slowly, Serena opened her eyelids and was promptly blinded by the bright white light of the hospital wing. Only when her eyes had adjusted to the light did she begin to perceive the outline of a pile of bushy hair.

"How are you, Hermione?" breathed Serena in a voice that must also have needed to recover after her exertions before it could function properly again. Like a squeaky door that desperately needed oiling.

Hermione looked at her with her worried brown eyes. "I think the question is rather how you feel?"

"I'm fine," Serena croaked, trying to prop herself up on her forearms to straighten a little. As she did so, she noticed that the other beds were unoccupied and the two girls were the only ones in the room at that moment. The sun was already a little lower, telling her that she must have been unconscious for several hours. Hermione smiled slightly, exposing her teeth, which had returned to their normal size. Too normal. They were now much shorter than before and lined up perfectly, which had not been the case before.

"Nice teeth," Serena grinned and Hermione's face turned a little red, confirming her suspicion that she had cheated a little.

"Madam Pomfrey was in the process of shrinking my teeth when you were brought here," Hermione whispered darkly. "What Snape did was inhuman! Professor McGonagall was very angry."

"She knows?" whispered Serena in surprise. The Snape she knew would have left no stone unturned in covering up this incident, presenting it as a harmless reaction to a foul smell.

"Ron and Lavender ran to her immediately after class," she reported, her voice still lowered. "McGonagall almost cursed Snape in response, she was so upset."

"Is he being kicked out?" asked Serena hopefully, feeling her heart swell at the thought of her two housemates wanting to do her justice. It especially surprised her with Lavender.

Hermione slowly lowered her gaze and murmured with a sigh. "I don't think so."

"Too bad," Serena said, a new thought suddenly forcing itself into her consciousness. If McGonagall knew, then this one wouldn't be so far-fetched either. "Have my parents been notified?"