3; invitation.

Let's get this over with.

You walk into Levi's office where you see him leaning back in his chair, looking straight at you. You can only hear the noise coming from your heels clicking against the floor, making your situation even more awkward. You stand pretty far away from his desk with the papers in hand waiting for him to speak.

"Well, are those papers for me?" he deadpans, continuing to give you that intense gaze.

"Oh yes, they are, sorry," You say slightly embarrassed as you hand him the papers with both hands, "They're from Hange sir, they wanted me to give them directly to you."

"I see, thank you Ms. L/n."

There it was again, the tension you so desperately hated. It made you feel suffocated as if you were trying to swim to a shore that feels so close, yet so far. There you two were, staring into each other's eyes, not finding the right words to say to each other. Levi has not once given you an expression since your reunion, which made you feel confused yet flustered, all at once.

'Well, I'll be on my way now" you say quietly but loud enough so Levi could hear you. You turn around and head towards the door. You couldn't help but feel slight disappointment in your encounter with Levi. You place your hand on the door handle to open it, relieved to get out of this situation.

"I didn't dismiss you."

You stay still, hand still placed on the handle, too stunned to speak.

He sighs, "I get that this — uh, situation we're in may be uncomfortable for you. I had no idea Erwin hired you." you hear him say, not knowing what face he's making since your back is still facing him "I understand if you resign from your position and am willing to write you a letter of recommendation. I'm sure you would be a great asset to another company around the area."

You make a confused face, processing what he just said. You could not believe what he was saying right now. Resigning on the first day? You turn around to face him.

"With all due respect sir, I will not be resigning." You state, slightly irritated at his offer.

"I'm sorry?" he responds, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"I've worked too hard to obtain this position, I refuse to resign. Yes, the situation as you said is quite uncomfortable, but it is in the past. I won't let it get in the way of my work or our relationship — which is strictly professional."  you say fearlessly, despite your heart feeling like it's about to burst out of your chest.

Levi continues to look straight at you, his face expressionless as usual.

Fucking say something.

"You're dismissed." he ends the conversation and starts to write on some papers.

That's it? Asshole.

Entering the break room, you go sit next to Sasha and Connie, who were talking about their own experiences at their department. Sasha was too busy downing her food to get a sentence in, so Connie did most of the talking. They introduced you to the other interns as well — they've all known each other for a while since their universities were pretty close. You began to feel comfortable in their presence, which helped ease your nerves.

"So what made you want to work in San Paradis Y/n?" Mikasa asks as she stabs her fork into her salad.

"Wanted a new beginning, I guess. " You reply, placing your elbows on the table and resting your head on your hands. "Cliche I know, but Eldia just didn't have the adventure I wanted."

"Funny you'd say that since that's where the #1 university in the country is at." Armin chuckled as he diverted his eyes away from the book he was reading and towards you. "Well, I'm glad you're here, welcome to the group." He smiles softly.

You smile back at him, giving him a soft thank you. You began writing down some reminders into your planner, dozing off for a bit.

"Oh yea Y/n, how was Mr. Ackerman by the way? I overheard Hange asking you to go take some papers over to him " Eren asks curiously.

You stop what your doing and slowly look back up to find everyone staring at you, waiting for your response.

"Holy crap meeting your boss' boss on the first day, that's tough," Connie comments with his mouth full of chips.

"He was....distant," you murmur, looking back down.

"Distant?" Eren repeats, squinting his green eyes in confusion.

Fuck, wrong choice of words.

"I meant to say serious, he was pretty serious I guess." you nod awkwardly as you make eye contact with Mikasa who unbeknownst to you, was analyzing you this whole time.

"Hm. He does have an RBF," Sasha says as she finishes the granola bar you ended up giving her.

"What's that?" Armin asks.

"Resting bitch face, " you say casually, everyone breaking out into laughter.

Your first day of work has come to an end, and you make your way to Pieck's car, where she was waiting for you.

"How was the first-day hun?" Pieck asks you as she begins to drive home. You slouch a bit and turn your head a bit to face her.

"It felt like forever," you said. Pieck is in the operations department, so you won't be seeing her as much during work since they usually work on their own. She tried convincing you to join her, but you knew in your heart the research and development were meant for you. You've always been so inquisitive, operations would have been torture.

"Same here, Pyxis just went on about his life and his favorite wine — felt like a bad date rather than an introduction, " Pieck laughs, "Anything interesting happen?"

I should tell her. I mean, it's Pieck.

"Nope." you lie. Pieck hums in response and you arrive at your apartment.

You immediately kick your heels off and give your cat Kuroo a kiss. Entering your room, you change into some comfy clothes and lay on your bed. God, you were waiting for this moment all day — peace and quiet.

Ding!

who the fuck.

You groan and pick up your phone, in which you see a text message from Pieck. Who's literally in the room next to you.

pieck <3

check your email !!

you

kk

Sluggishly getting up from your bed, you go sit at your desk and open your laptop. Scrolling through your emails, you immediately know which one Pieck is talking about.

To: Y/n L/n, Research & Development

From: Ackerman Inc.

Good Evening,

If you are receiving this email, you have been formally invited to the annual San Paradis Charity Banquet next Saturday. This event is for all tech companies in the San Paradis area to showcase their best projects and plans for the year while raising money for the community. Ackerman Inc. has proudly made generous donations throughout the years, and we hope to see you all there. More info will be given during tomorrow's meeting. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Levi Ackerman, CEO

You stop squinting at your screen and slowly close your laptop. An event outside of work? You felt as if the universe was purposefully putting you in awkward situations where you would encounter Levi. You weren't sure how you would manage this, but you were determined to make it work.

I'll be damned if I leave this job I worked so hard for because of a man.

"Pieck!" you yell from your room, "Looks like we gotta go shopping!"

-

Can you tell this story is gonna be a slow burn LMAO, bear w me pls :) anyways thanks for reading!! <3