22; exile.

Keep up with time stamps and POVs. I apologize for any typos in advance.
-
Levi.

There was nothing to possibly look forward to in a place like this, where hope was a mere phrase, and peace was only an unobtainable desire. Though, in Levi's being he felt himself feeling just that, each time a guard would tell him he had a visitor. He no longer had to look at the same miserable faces for at least thirty minutes. The guard hits his baton against the cell, somehow not waking up the elderly man he shared a cell with. He was known as the Owl – for how much he sang during the night.

Levi goes up to the bars, turning so the guard can handcuff him. It was the same guard every day, luckily he wasn't a man who sought entertainment with the inmates, as some would purposely make their lives miserable - as if this wasn't rock bottom. The walk to the visiting quarters wasn't too long, Levi's mind wondering who could possibly be visiting him. Most likely Erwin or Hange. Maybe his mother, though shame followed him whenever he saw her face.

He walks in, seeing Erwin on the other side of the glass, his blue eyes lighting up as he sees Levi's sullen ones. Sitting down, they both grab the phones from each side. No one spoke for what seemed longer than the minute it actually was.

Erwin's eyes examine Levi's frame, "You look bulkier," he began, "Should I expect tattoos and a buzzcut next visit?"

Levi scoffs, "There's nothing else to do than work out."

"I see," Erwin sighs, "The company is doing well, despite the ongoing legal battle. Rico is doing her best with the publicity side of things. Hange, Nile, and I are keeping the company smooth, sales have dropped but nothing to be concerned about — yet."

Levi nods, relieved at the good news; he didn't show it, but he cared for the company, for his employee's sake.  "How's my mother?"

"She's doing well.  Kenny postponed his business trips and has been staying with her at the estate," Erwin reassures him, "She asked me to give you this."

Erwin takes out a gray sweatshirt from the beige paper bag he held, "There are some papers and a note from her inside as well. I'll drop it off at the main office before I leave. Hange also asked me to give you this book. Not sure what it's about, but they said it'll help pass the time."

Levi nods, a small smirk appearing. Who knows what that book may be about, especially if it came from Hange. Erwin continues to update Levi on matters, mostly on the business end. His stone gray eyes just looked down at his calloused hands, how his fingers twiddled as he zoned out. 

"...as for the government project, we've decided to send Ms. L/n."

Erwin sees how those eyes practically came back to consciousness at the mention of your name. Levi's fingers stop twiddling, and he softly gulps, "I see, so she's... still-"

"One of us? Yes," Erwin confirms Levi's racing, searching thoughts, "Ms. L/n is still with Ackerman Inc."

She's on my side.

"I see," Levi says, one failed attempt to sound nonchalant at that, "Do we know who else will be attending?"

"No, that I can't say," Erwin sighs, "But Ms. L/n will be virtually keeping us updated each week. Our next meeting will be in a few days, I'll visit whenever I can."

Erwin gives a reassuring nod, "I'm sorry that wasn't the ideal update, but I'm sure you'd prefer that over nothing, am I right?"

He was right. Levi was fine with anything, any update that had to do with you. But with each small update, each minuscule detail, he felt himself further away. You were moving on, while he was caged in, looking through the bars.