11 • Phobia

Seraphina POV

To say I was nervous was the understatement of the century.

The palms of my hands were coated with sweat as I waited impatiently on the bench outside the medic cabin. Desmond stood beside me leaning against the door frame. He tapped his fingers against his elbow as he too waited rather restless.

At least I wasn't the only one that had the pent up feeling of premonition.

I tried to distract myself with the various people that strolled by. Many of them were occupied with tasks. Everyone had a role and a duty, some looked like lumberjacks carrying crazy amounts of wood over their shoulders, others had smudged coal and dirt on their arms and faces from the iron work the conducted in some of the furnaces.

Many were busy but that hadn't meant that none of them snuck a peek at me, in fact most of them took greedy glances at me. Some looked intrigued by my appearance while others turned away when I noticed their stare.

I couldn't help but feel out of place. Was I out of place?

"Calm down Sera, nothing bad is going to happen." Desmond chimed in believing my nervous scent to be due solely to the appointment we waited for.

If only that were how simple my emotions were affected.

I didn't correct him instead twirling my thumbs to calm my nerves. I kept my eyes glued to my palms as I sat silently in my own uncertainty.

This was such a bad idea. Why'd agree to this? Oh yea because I didn't want my mate to think that I was going against him. I hated confrontation and if I could avoid it I will in ever instance. How Ivy openly searched for confrontation was beyond me.

"You must be Seraphina." The baritone voice had me craning my neck to looked up at the tall man before me. He was tall and lanky, his skin was pale compared to Desmond's tanned complexion. The man was at least in his forties from the amount of gray and white hair that was in his beard.

I was so concentrated on the man's features that I failed to recognize that he had his hand extended for me to take. Glancing over to Desmond for reassurance I shook the man's hand.

He retracted his hand digging it in his pocket as he pulled out a key. Desmond and I watched patiently as he unlocked the door and held it open for us. I waited for Desmond to enter first following closely behind him.

The cabin was much smaller than the one that I stayed in. It was one story. The moment you entered there were long tables that ran the length of the room from one wall to the other. On top of the tables were more bottles than I cared to count, with substances that I didn't want to even imagine the contents of.

There was a door way to the right that I imagined was either a storage room or a bedroom, as the man scurried to the door I confirmed that it was his bedroom.

"Take a seat I'll be out in a minute." He exclaimed closing the door behind him.

If I thought my mind was racing earlier nothing compared to how it felt now. My eyes landed on the table once more, taking a closer look I realized that there were a handful of syringes on the table. Some looked half empty while other looked completely unused.

I gulped as my eyes found a shining scalpel. Bile rose in the back of my throat as nausea threatened to make me vomit my breakfast.

Desmond grabbed my shaking hand in his. "Sera, don't feel like you have to do this. If you don't want to we can go back."