58 • Breathe

Seraphina POV

My bones felt heavy as I stretched my arms high above my head. The crack of my eye lids were just slightly opened revealing a dark room voided of any light but the dim shimmer that desperately tried to deep through the heavy curtains.

The smell of cedar wood and pine enveloped my nose as I peered around my room. The room.

I wasn't sitting in my own room in between my own sheets. No, this room was darker, the sheets a rich navy blue the pillow cases matched perfectly.

A shadow moved out the corner of my eye as I sat up clutching the blankets tight against my chest. A tired grunt came from the shadow as it stretched his long arms high above their head.

"You're awake." Sleepy was heavy in his voice.

"What happened?" Confusion could even bring to describe what I felt. We had a agreed to mark each other and I allowed Siris to go first then... then I didn't what happened.

"How's your neck?" He asked moving closer and sitting on the bed next to me. I could make out his features now, I could recognize that face in a crowd of people with ease.

My palm snapped up to the right side of my neck. Half way up my neck the shallow divots of his teeth remained. There was no soreness, no tenderness, or raging heat against the imprint, just the soft smooth ridges.

"Fine," I answered. "You didn't answer my question. What happened?"

Siris's remained silent. There was a flicker of... fear? I had seen a plethora of emotions on his face but fear was never one of them. I never imagined I'd be the sore of that dead either, the thought made the worry that set in all the worse.

Then I laid my eyes on his neck and my heart sank. His neck was raw. Deep and hollow puncture marks were imbedded in his neck. There wasn't any blood remaining but the why his skin stared raised, after what I could only imagine had been hours, and an angry red I had no doubt it was extremely painful.

Crawled down the bed until I was able to brush my fingertips along the furious edges. Siris's backed away with a hiss.

"Did- did I do that?" It was a stupid question. Of course, this was my doing, yet it didn't look like any teeth I ever had.

"You're wolf did." There was something in his voice while he said wolf. It sounded like he were struggling to tell me that fact.

So my wolf did appear just as Jensen had told me ages ago. Break the curse and you'll discover your wolf. Somehow realizing I had awaken that part of me felt less exciting than I thought.

Maybe it was the fact I was now mortified by what I'd done in the brief moment I was... feral.

Was the moment brief?

As if reading my thoughts Siris spoke up. "You weren't yourself. It was only for a few minutes." He said the words as if he were playing out the scene behind his eyes.

I laid back down closing my eyes and resting the back of my forearm over my face. "I'm sorry I hurt you." My heart twisted with a vise grip. Admitting I had inflicted pain on my mate had left a nauseating feeling in my gut and bile threatened to rise at any moment.

I waited for Siris to say something but as I opened my eyes and peeked from beneath my arm I noticed his eyes were trained out the window. What had happened? I'd never seen him so lost before.

"Siris?"

His head snapped back in my direction his eyes flashing green for a second. They dulled when I recoiled into the bed.