40 • Care

Seraphina POV

I should have ran. I should have screamed.

Nope.

I, Seraphina had decided that it was best that I stand still in front of a werewolf three times my size like a deer in the headlights. I was as good as dead the way I saw it.

Running wasn't going to do anything and screaming was only going to dry up my mouth more than it already was.

So as I awaited my impending doom I closed my eyes and slumped down to my knees.

The wolf didn't come all the way out here to make friends and I doubted I was nothing to it the way it had moved towards me with purpose before I closed my eyes.

The drumming of my heart hammered loudly in my ears to the point all other noises were drowned out.

Ba-dum. Ba-dum. Ba-dum.

"Sera?"

My eyes shot open to reveal Desmond, a nude Desmond. I could have cared less at the moment, my arm was on fire. Tears were welling up in my eyes as the searing pain burned hotter and hotter.

"Desmond... my arm." I uttered between shaky breaths. "It-it hurts."

He ran over to me crouching down to my level and grabbing my arm. "Shit-" His finger grazed over the angry red streaks that lite up my flushed skin. "Where's Osiris?" Desmond peered over my head in the general direction I came from.

Swallowing a nauseous lump down I found my voice. "He's with Aspen. Some outsider wolves ambushed Aspen and I, he told me to run."

Desmond's eyes grew wider as he pursed his lips. I watched as a conflicting expression appeared on his face, something caused him to pause before he trained his eyes back on me. "Here." He scooped snow pressing it against my hot skin, I hissed at the harsh contrast. "It'll help numb the pain."

"I beg to differ."

Another howl rang out through the woods. Desmond turned his face toward the noise his eyes locking onto something beyond my human eyes reach.

Every one of my muscles became deathly still as I held my breath. Desmond's eyes became fogged over distracting him. The distraction wouldn't have been much of an issue but in a blink of an eye Desmond was pounced on.

He yelled out as his bare back scrapped open against the hard ground. The wolf snarled as it bared it's teeth terrifyingly close to his face. It's lips curled up as it gaped it's mouth open.

"No!" I screamed.

The wolf's ears pulled back before he quickly hid his teeth behind his lips. It craned its head toward me with what I could only label as a remorseful face.

The once feral beast was puppy-like as he innocently wandered over to me. He whined reassuringly as I recoiled back.

"Seriously, Ozzy. You didn't have to pummel me." Desmond spit out.

"Osiris?" I looked him up and down.

This was my second time seeing him as a wolf and if I was being honest with myself I was utterly impressed. Large tall ears perturbed from the top of his head, dark round eyes captivated my soul left me speechless. As my eyes traveled further down his furry body my eyes stopped at his front leg. It was soaking wet. The dark brown fur was no longer brown as it became pitch black with wetness.

My trembling hand reached out and slid down the front of his leg. My hand being instantly bathed in red.

Blood.