Chapter 17

He eyes me for a few seconds, trying to come up with an excuse, ultimately giving up and deciding to just flee to the kitchen instead.

"Oy, don't run away," I groan, following him into the kitchen. "Straight up disrespectful."

"I don't know what you're talking about, she must have mistaken me for someone else," he says, hiding behind the fridge door.

"Ah yes, because there are so many men wearing kippot at your workplace."

"Actually, there are a couple of Jews there too," he shrugs.

I squint my eyes at him, obviously not buying any of it. "Fine," I say simply, leaving him there. I can hear him protest but he doesn't follow me, so he really isn't going to tell me — that's fine.

Operation: Who's the bitch, starts today.

I put both Daniella and Soph on a group-call the moment I make it into my room. Daniella is the first to pick up but Soph doesn't take much longer.

"Took you long enough, thought you didn't have the balls to ask him for a moment here," Soph says.

"Uh, he only came home like 10 minutes ago."

"What did he say?" Daniella asks with a sleepy voice, telling me she was probably sleeping when I called.

"Some BS about how Mrs. Smith must have mistaken him," I groan. "So, asking didn't work—"

"Let's get to the investigation!" Soph says getting excited all over again.

"Right, but we can meet tomorrow after work to decide on what to do exactly."

"I agree," Daniella murmurs. "It's too late for this."

"That's no fun, but fine. I say we camp tomorrow in front of his workplace, before the ending of his shift of course, and follow him"

"Can I just ask how do you two think this is normal behavior as if you've done this a couple million times?" Daniella interrupts.

"Oh yeah, we've done this a couple of times."

"Anna, tell me you've never followed me home, please," Daniella groans.

"... I've never followed you home," I say, trying to seem convincing, even though I'm not lying, I've indeed never followed her home.

"Right, I think I'd notice a dying boat following me."

"Hey, don't speak of Erika like that, she's not a boat — she is dying though."

"Whatever, I want to go back to sleep."

"Ok, so tomorrow right after work it is."

I decided to walk to work this time around, not because Dani couldn't pick me up but because I need some fresh air and the morning temperature is so refreshing during Summer. Also because I've been looking for a car, and sometimes people will leave papers taped to the windows if they're trying to sell their used car, it's a lot easier to spot them when walking.

I saved a few phone numbers along the way but there's this one I liked specifically. It's an Opel Karl that is for sale near the shop, the paint is in good condition and the price isn't bad but I'm hoping I can negotiate it given there's a dent on the rear bumper.

It's nothing fancy but it's actually pretty nice for a first car, plus it's black in color which is somehow hard to find in used cars.

"What do you think?" I ask, showing Soph the pictures I took of it.