Chapter 32

"Happy Birthday!" Soph's loud voice pierces through my ears as she tackles me in a hug the moment I come inside the store. A single balloon with the words 'It's party time' with graduation cap emojis hanging by the counter.

"You really went all out for this," I chuckle, holding her tightly.

"You're one year away from being legally allowed to adopt a child in Delaware, Colorado, and Oklahoma."

"That's...Uhm, how about drinking? Hitting the casino? Becoming an Uber Driver? Nope, Adopting a child in the 3 states we don't live in, that's what does it," I chuckle, earning a slap on the shoulder from her. "What does that even mean? Why adopt a child?"

"To make me an Aunt," she says simply, letting me go. "You know I'm never getting any children of my own, those nasty things."

I have the impulse to ask if Jenny feels the same way but I stop myself — there is no point in bringing up these kinds of touchy subjects when I know that Soph would just avoid the topic. And it's not like I don't know the answer. I simply hum. "Right."

"So, what did the Misses get you for your birthday?"

"She let me sleep for five minutes more than usual," I smirk, heading to the back room. "I'm not sure yet, she won't budge. The suspense is killing me."

"And that's why you're 10 minutes late?" she follows me inside, leaning on the door frame. "You gave her a promise ring on her birthday, maybe she will step up and propose?"

"I highly doubt that," I chuckle. "I mean, it's not that I don't want to marry her, I do more than anything, but I feel like it's too early to even talk about it. We haven't even been together for a year Soph, and this is Daniella we're talking about."

"You guys are no fun," she groans.

"If you're so excited about marriage why don't you propose to Jenny?"

"I will when you and Daniella do, we can have a double wedding."

"I take it you two are doing well?"

"I mean, yeah, we're okay," she shrugs, walking with me to the front. "It's amazing when we're together, it feels like she never left for college at all. But then she leaves and I can't help but feel like I'm in the way," she sighs.

"Don't you think she feels the same way? As in, do you feel like she's in your way?"

"Of course not."

"Then why would she? It's clear she loves you as much as you do — she wouldn't have agreed to all of this if she didn't. Just trust in the relationship that you know you signed up for."

"Well, what's 3 years of long distance, right?" she chuckles humorlessly. "I mean, it's fine, we can make it work, and who knows? Maybe we'll have that double wedding."

I don't know what to say to her — I know how much Jenny means to her, but it's hard to convince her when she's so insecure. A side I never thought I'd see of her. It's so weird to think that Soph has changed so much since last year, in a good way, I think — she has grown in many ways. "Let's just hope both of them say yes."

"You have to give me a hint!"

"You didn't give me any hints. Why should I?" she raises her eyebrows as I get into her car. She wanted to drive me and pick me up from work today, just like the old times, even if at the cost of both of us coming in late — her fault for allowing me to sleep in as she went on her morning run, knowing damn well I need at least half an hour of sitting at the end of the bed for spacing out purposes. "Are you sure you don't want to throw at least a small dinner party? You know my mom and I don't mind hosting."