Chapter 8

"Are you two ok? You've been acting kinda weird today," Soph asks as we finish up cleaning the shop. Daniella is waiting for me outside to take me home when I'm done with my shift and hopefully have that conversation we've been meaning to have. That is if she doesn't run away from it again.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," I say dismissing her worried face. "How are things going with you and Jenny?"

"Good? It feels a little weird."

"How so?"

"I feel like she has been avoiding me," she sighs, leaning on the counter.

"Maybe she's just a little confused or overwhelmed, give her some time."

"Well, she'll be leaving soon to college."

"I thought she'd stay in Arizona."

"I thought so too but she's moving to California."

"That's not that far," I say trying to brighten her mood.

"We're not dating or anything, I don't want to make her feel like I'm pulling her down or something."

"That's ridiculous, Soph. It's visible that she likes you, don't you?"

"A little bit?"

"Shut up," I say hitting her with my broom making her squeal. "Liar!"

"Ugh, you'll never get it out of my mouth!"

"I don't need to, you already admitted it."

"Shut up and leave, go to your girlfriend before she comes back to get you. I can feel her stare trespassing the walls and all laws of physics."

"Just think about it, Soph. You can't let her leave without telling her you want to walk down a church aisle dressed in white one day with her."

"That will make her block me in all her social media."

"Not denying? Cute," I say, sprinting away before she could hit me with something.

I quickly change and I can't help but feel nervous as I walk out of the shop and towards her car, Daniella's eyes are on me the whole time and I can sense that she's trying to read my emotions.

"I'm sorry for making you wait, today was a busy day," I say, reaching up to her and placing a quick kiss on her lips.

"Don't worry, I came way too early," she says simply with a small smile. "To your house?"

"Yeah, I think my dad might put up missing posters throughout the city with pictures of me if I sleepover at your house one more night."

"Haven't you been telling him you were with me?"

"Of course, but you know him, he's dramatic like that."

She lets out a small laugh as she turns on the engine. "How was work?" she asks, obviously trying to keep the conversation going as a way to see if I'm mad at her or not. And to probably discover what it is that I want to talk about beforehand.

I'm not exactly mad at her, if anything, I'm confused.

"It was good. Is Lucia home already?" I ask seeing something in her face change.

"No, she didn't want to leave before Edward."

"That's very romantic," I say and I can't help but smile even though she doesn't quite reciprocate it. "I have to visit them, I haven't seen Ed in a while. How is he doing?"

"Good," she says simply. "We can go together next weekend."

"I was thinking about going tomorrow, I've been missing him."