Chapter 14

Daniella tightens her hand around mine, silently reassuring me as I try my best to not give away how nervous I am. "You're all late — unsurprisingly," she's the first to say, opening the door widely so they could come in.

"Sharing the same car was the worst thing I've ever agreed to, Eva had to stop every 10 minutes to pee," a tall blonde woman, the oldest looking one, answered with a groan. Only now do I notice the woman she's pointing to is pregnant. "So this is the girl you talked about?" she asks, looking back at me, her face perfectly stoic which really didn't help with calming my nerves down.

"Yes, this is Anna, my girlfriend," Daniella says, looking briefly at me. "Anna, this is Vanessa, Eva, and Isa," she completes, pointing to each woman as she says their names. Vanessa is the tall, intimidating blonde woman. Eva is a petite brunette and is very pregnant, that baby is holding itself in there for dear life. And Isa, a beautiful Asiatic woman that seems way too happy to see me.

I'll totally forget and mix all their names up.

"Nice to meet you all," I say with my best confident voice. Daniella did introduce me as her girlfriend after all, but it somehow made me feel even more nervous, now I know they'll judge whether or not I'm a good match for her. Which to be honest, it's something I'd do.

"You're adorable," Isa says, stepping closer and wrapping her arms around me in an excruciating hug, pinching my cheeks afterward.

"Don't scare the girl," Vanessa shoves Isa away, performing her own greeting, which consisted of two air kisses, one on each side of my face. She takes a step back, looking at me from top to bottom in a very much rude boldness, then up again, analyzing my face. "Daniella said you were young — but not that you came straight out of kindergarten."

"She's joking," Eva steps in, attempting to hug me with her huge belly. I glance at Vanessa, meeting her eyes — no, she iss definitely not joking. "But you are such a cutie."

I feel a hand pulling me back before I could even think about what to answer. Only now realizing my hand is still intertwined with Daniella's. "I told you to act normal," she groans.

"Where's the food? I'm starving," Vanessa says, completely dismissing her and walking past us to the living room.

"I bet she was your bestie," I whisper in Daniella's ear as we follow them inside. "Your partner in making students' life miserable."

She chuckles devilishly, which in my books is more than a confirmation. "Everyone hated us."

"Can you blame them?"

"Not really, we had loads of fun. If you think I'm a mean teacher, you've seen nothing," she smirks. "I learned all my tricks from her, she was my mentor."

"She seems like such a lovely person though," I say in a sarcastic tone, making her laugh.

The moment we all came into view in the living room Lucia stood up, almost in a jump-like motion, I didn't know she had it in her. "It's been so long since I've seen you all," she says, opening her arms and embarrassing each one of them individually. "Eva, I've heard of your pregnancy. And you got married, Isa. I'm saddened I wasn't able to attend."

"No worries, Mrs. Evans, your daughter didn't bother to attend anyways," Isa says, squinting her eyes at Daniella.

"I sent you a postal card," Daniella simply shrugs.

"That makes you the only one of us who is unmarried," Vanessa says teasingly. "When are you marrying the girl?"

The question, even though obviously a joke, left Daniella speechless for a few seconds. "I think it's a bit too soon to think about that," she looks at me seeking some kind of approval, I quickly nod my head yes.