Chapter 38

"Here," I say as I go through my notebook. "That's her phone number."

"Are you sure it's her?" Soph says, raising her eyebrows. "Wasn't she here to buy flowers for her mother? And from what you're telling me, I doubt she'd want to give the parent that disowned you anything, let alone say good things about her."

"Denise's birthday is nowhere soon, I'm pretty sure she must have been talking about her stepmother. From what Jake told me, she has a great relationship with their father, I wouldn't be surprised if she stopped seeing Denise as a mother altogether."

"So what are you going to do? Call her?"

"Why not? It's the only way of making sure it's really her too."

"Maybe you should talk to Daniella first, you know since this Zoe is the one that flirted with you," she says, giving me a look.

"You're right... do you think it would bother her?"

"It's your girlfriend, do you think it would bother her?"

"I never know when she's serious or just teasing me but I have a feeling it would nag at her even though she would never admit it," I say ripping the piece of paper with her number and throwing it in my pants pocket.

"So, you moving in with Daniella today, huh," she smirks, changing the conversation. "Can't believe you're abandoning me."

"Abandoning you? I will still see you every day at work," I shake my head. "And it's not like I wasn't already sleeping with her most days anyway."

"But it's official now," she pouts. "And on top of that, someone else will take your place."

"See? You'll have company... hopefully they'll stay for more than a week."

"What are you trying to imply?" she squints her eyes at me, pinching me once I shrug, not answering her.

"Anyway, how did your mom take it?" I ask as I help Soph drag a giant box into the new space.

"Surprisingly well," she shrugs, sitting on top of the box. "I was scared she'd throw a fit and demand I stay home with her forever, but I guess she's happy for me."

"Ok, and when you told her about the new store?"

"Surprisingly didn't get killed," she chuckles. "I thought she'd say we weren't ready to start a business on our own... and she did, but managed to not call me irresponsible in the process."

I raise my eyebrows. "Wow, a different woman."

"Right?" she says as she shakes her head. "I guess she's just getting old and accepting change, finally... well, I still haven't told her the part where I'll have a stranger as a housemate, she still thinks you'll be the one living with me."

"And what are you going to do when she comes to visit you?"

She shrugs. "I'll ask them to put on a red wig, my mom is half blind anyways, no big deal."

"Have you up the Ad for the room?"

"In that state?"

We both look around at the mess, boxes, and tools everywhere. The walls are being painted, and we still have to decide on what colors. "Fair enough."

"How's the house sale going?"

"Daniella and I talked to a real estate agent in the area the other day, they're going tomorrow to inspect the place and check how much it's worth selling for... this is a lot," I say with a sigh. "If Daniella wasn't around we would be doomed."

"I'm sure we would figure it out."

"I like your optimism... but I think you're only saying that because you were the one to throw us into all of this," I squint my eyes at her.