Chapter 28

This is the first time I'll be spending Thanksgiving away from my dad, not that we were exactly good at maintaining that tradition since we are not American, but it was still a time we'd spend together cooking, and then we'd have our mid-day nap only to wake up just to eat whatever we didn't finish during lunch. Reminds me of that one time my dad decided we'd have turkey that year, just so we could really feel like we were celebrating the holiday the right way, but the turkey was so big it took us an entire month to finish by ourselves. We'd have turkey at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, exploring all kinds of receipts but it seemed like we'd never see the end of it.

We've never had turkey again after that, and I still don't think I'm ready to have it any time soon.

"Are you sure you don't want to come along?" Daniella asks for the nth time this morning alone. She and Lucia will be traveling back to Flagstaff for Thanksgiving this evening, they will be celebrating it with their extended family, and as much as I want to meet them, I don't think I'm ready just yet.

"I've already told Soph I'd be spending it with her, you don't need to worry, I won't be alone," I sigh, helping her fold her clothes. She'll be gone for only two nights but by the size of her bag, you'd think she was leaving for good. "And wouldn't it be... a little awkward?"

She hums, just now thinking about it. "I guess, but you'll have to meet them sooner or later."

"I'm excited to meet your niece," I say in a teasing tone, making her squint her eyes at me. "We'll have tons of future opportunities."

"I know."

"How do you think they would react... to you dating a woman?"

"I'm not sure, I never thought about it but I don't think that would be a problem," she gives me a reassuring smile.

"Do you always take Slippers?" I ask, pointing to his own little traveling bag at the corner of the room. "I can keep an eye on him if that's the reason."

"Slippers loves car rides and I'm sure he misses his girlfriend back home, you don't need to worry."

"Wait, he has a girlfriend?"

"Of course, he's a real heartbreaker," she chuckles. "It's my aunt's dog, we were hoping to get a few babies out of them since they're both golden retrieves but I'm afraid Slippers is a tad bit too old."

"How cruel, I'm sure he still has it in him... maybe it's the environment, I don't know, have you tried lighting some candles?"

"Stupid," she says under her breath but still making sure I heard it as she sets her bag, which is now completely full, aside.

"I'll miss you too."

"I won't be gone for that long, I'm pretty sure we've spent more time apart in the past few weeks."

"I know," I pout. "But it's different when you know your loved one is no longer at a five-minute drive distance, don't ask me why."

She rests both of her hands on each side of my face, giving my cheeks a light squeeze. "So clingy."

"Am I the only one?" I raise my eyebrows, basking in the warmth of her hands on my face.

"No, you're not."

"Where's Jenny?" I ask Soph as I come inside her room. "Shouldn't she have arrived already?"

"Yeah, she did but her parents insisted on picking her up from the bus station so you already know she's stuck at home with them," she sighs.

"That sucks," I mumble, I've been meaning to talk to her but I'm not sure how to initiate the conversation. I know Soph said she'd ask Jenny about the identity of the woman Mrs. Bardot leaves flowers to, but I'm guessing she forgot since we never resumed that conversation, and I can't really blame her for that — Jenny has been extremely busy with college life and I have a feeling Soph has been feeling a bit left out.