Chapter 36

Our trip didn't last nearly as much as I wanted it to but we had to go back to the real world. Christmas is just around the corner and I've set my mind on accompanying Daniella to her family dinner, I knew that sooner or later that would have to happen... I just didn't expect the later to be so soon.

I'm so nervous I feel like throwing up. Should I act all professional? Should I give them a hug? A kiss? How many of them are going to be there? How many family members does she even have? Shit, I don't even know anything about Christmas itself aside from what I've seen from the cringy Christmas RomComs you get around this time of the year. I don't think they'll be wearing a Santa hat and singing 'Santa Claus is coming to town' while playing the piano, but still.

And to add to my misery, my dad has been blowing up my phone for the past few days — the calls going straight to voicemail and the texts going unanswered. I made the mistake of answering one of them, thinking that maybe the distance would have changed something, but instead getting the news that Denise would be moving into our family house after the holidays instead, and an invitation for diner at the house to meet her son.

I guess it was inevitable. I'm sure she has already pretty much taken over the house anyway, I'm just glad that I wasn't there to see it. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a kick in the gut to see your father prioritize another woman over his child, as much as he denies it.

I wonder if it's best to just give up, and accept the fact that I'll never have a proper relationship with my dad again.

"Are you sure about this?" Daniella asks as she stops the car, looking over at me. "You can change your mind, I won't be upset."

I look up at her house, the driveway already filled with cars. "No, it's fine, I'm fine," I say, giving her a weak smile. "I guess I should just get used to it," I shrug, unbuckling my seatbelt. "Come on."

The inside of the house looks just like last time, minus the giant Christmas tree and the mistletoe hanging from the doorway. I look around the living room, the walls covered with Christmas ornaments, and the smell of pie flooding my nostrils. I can hear the muffled conversations coming from the other room the closer we get.

"You're finally here," her mother says, placing a kiss on my cheek and hugging me tightly. "I was beginning to worry you weren't going to come."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," I say, putting on my best smile.

"Come on, everyone is crazy to meet you," she says, grabbing my hand and leading me into the main living room where most of her family is. I feel like I'm being judged as they all stare at me, waiting for me to say something.

"Hi," I say awkwardly, waving my hand.

"So, this is the girlfriend we've been hearing so much about," what I'm assuming must be her uncle says, offering me his hand. "I'm Richard."

"Nice to meet you," I reply, shaking his hand.

"You must be Anna," another one says, and before I know it, I'm shaking hands with her entire family. Not all of them were that happy to compliment me but were polite enough to do it regardless, and that's fine by me, to be honest.

"This is a lot," I whisper, leaning against Daniella as everyone goes back to talking amongst themselves, the attention shifting away from me.

"You're doing great," she says, rubbing my shoulder.

"Can we get something to drink? I think I'm going to faint," I say, shaking my head. "Why is it so hot in here?"

She laughs, nodding her head. "Of course," she says, grabbing my hand and leading me towards the kitchen. Once there, and away from everyone's eyes she pulls me in for a soft kiss. "You did great," she says, rubbing our noses together.