Chapter 30

"I'm so excited about this," Soph says, impatiently moving around in her seat. We were all in my car, Jenny included, driving to Mrs. Bardot's — or Stella's — restaurant. "And a bit nervous too, what if she shuts us out?"

"There's a very high chance of that happening, taking everything into consideration," I sigh, looking at them through the rear-view mirror. "We're not there to corner her though, so we shouldn't act like it — maybe it's best if either Jenny or I do the questioning, Soph."

She lets out a groan but murmurs a "fine" nonetheless.

We decided it was best to talk to her rather than make our own assumptions. I'm not sure if Stella will talk much with Jenny and Soph in town but it doesn't seem fair to not include them, since they've been a big help — especially Jenny who also seemed to take an interest in the whole ordeal.

"It might also be a bit overwhelming to have a bunch of kids questioning her about something that is most likely still painful to her," Jenny hums. "We should definitely take a soft approach to the subject."

"I'm pretty sure she'll see right through us," Soph says, still sulking in her seat.

"Probably, but it's still a nicer approach than just going all in out of nowhere," I say, parking the car in an available spot in front of the restaurant. Absolutely empty as always.

I take a deep breath as we get out of the car and enter the restaurant, there's no one inside other than the usual waiter that was also the receptionist, and the bartender — a teenager that probably thinks she has won in life by landing this very low demanding job, and with that said I'm pretty sure she despises Daniella and I, given we're the only ones that constantly show up. Today, I'm sure she's cussing us out under her breath as she sits us near a window.

"We only have chicken breast stroganoff with white rice today," she says with a rather forced smile.

I look around seeing both Soph and Jenny nodding their heads. "That's fine with us."

"For drinking, we have water and freshly squeezed orange juice," she speaks again, and I know for sure she'd murder us if we make her squeeze those three cups of orange juice.

"We'll take the orange juice," Soph says before I could gather all answers.

"Ok," the girl says under her breath, taking off with our order.

"I wanted water," Jenny pouts looking at Soph.

"I just wanted to see her face, we can ask for one once she comes back," she smirks.

"Watch her spit in our drinks."

"I'm watching her."

"I've always wondered who's the one doing the cooking," I hum. "It couldn't be Mrs. Bardot, right? She isn't horribly old but I'd think she would rather not have to deal with that kind of thing at her age."

"I do hope it's her though because it means she's here, and we didn't do all this just to not cross paths with her."

"Thinking about it, there is a high chance she is the one cooking since this restaurant is only open for 3 hours a day, during lunch, doesn't seem that straining — in truth, it seems exactly like the type of work schedule an older person would set."

"All I'm thinking about is how is this place still up and running, I mean, it's only open for a fraction of time and even then no one shows up — I'm thinking money laundering," Soph says, scratching her chin. Jenny and I both glance at each other but Soph cuts us off before either of us could say anything. "Yeah, I know, we didn't come for that type of chisme."

"Yeah, we can't just jump from asking about her supposedly deceased wife to money laundering."

"It's pretty badass though, I wonder if she's secretly a drug lord or something."