Chapter 29

Something was disrupting the balance. The balance of the magical forces. Bonnie could feel it. Someone or something or some kind of outside force had broken through some kind or barrier, something had changed the balance of nature. Something wasn't right.

Okay, so Bonnie didn't have any direct evidence. But something felt wrong. It felt as though she was receiving some kind of wordless, formless message, but she wasn't sure what it meant. She didn't even know what it said, to be honest. But something wasn't right.

She tried practising a basic incendiary spell. She was bored, and there was a candle in the room. But the flame took a fraction of a second too long to form, and then flickered a fraction of a second too quickly. When Bonnie stopped concentrating, the light flashed slightly - she could've sworn it extinguished, and then came back, before burning out completely.

A powerful witch such as herself wouldn't have messed up such a simple spell. Something was wrong. She didn't know what.

Bonnie took out her phone and scrolled down to Elena's contact. She hesitated for a moment, her hand hovering over the 'call' button. She bit her lip, thinking for a moment. Elena was probably with Elizabeth and Damon and Stefan. Damon and Stefan, fine. Elizabeth... Something about her seemed off. Bonnie didn't want her to know something was wrong. Elizabeth seemed like the sort of person who would intervene... In a bad way.

Instead, Bonnie scrolled back up to Caroline's contact. This time, she didn't hesitate to call.

Caroline picked up on the fourth ring. 'Bonnie, what is it?' she said, sounding annoyed. 'I'm kinda busy right now!'

'Sorry, Caroline,' Bonnie said quickly. She could hear Tyler messing around behind her, and the sound of metal pans clinking together - they must've been making breakfast. 'Look, can we talk? Somewhere private?'

'Ok, Bonnie, what's up?' Caroline said, for once picking up that she was serious.

'Look, meet me at the Grill? I'll call Stefan, too. But don't tell Elena or Damon.'

'What, why not?' Caroline said incredulously.

'Because they might tell Elizabeth,' said Bonnie. 'She can't find out. Not yet.'

'Okay,' said Caroline. 'I'll meet you in an hour?'

'Alright,' said Bonnie. 'See you.'