Chapter 1

'So, which one do you think looks best?' Said Caroline, holding first an emerald green dress and then a ruby red one up in front of her for her friends to choose between.

Caroline, Elena and Bonnie were sitting in one of the bedrooms in the Salvatore boarding house, getting ready for the party they would be going to in about two hours. Caroline stood in front of the dresser, upon which they had arranged all of the makeup they owned collectively, organised into piles of lipsticks, lip glosses, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara - well, just about everything. Bonnie and Elena were perched on the edge of the bed.

'The green one,' said Bonnie and Elena simultaneously.

'I agree,' said Caroline, flinging the red dress over her shoulder so that it landed neatly on the back of the chair tucked under the dresser. 'What're you two wearing?'

Elena got up and walked over to the closet, and pulled out a red and a blue dress.

Caroline squealed. 'Makeup time! Bonnie, c'mere,' Caroline pulled the chair out from underneath the dresser.

'Don't go too crazy, Care,' said Bonnie as Caroline started to apply grey eyeshadow to Bonnie's eyes.

'Do I ever?'

Bonnie and Elena laughed.

'Come on, guys!' Caroline said. 'Give me a break. For one we don't have revenge-seeking vampires or witches looking to bring balance or whatever.'

'You're right,' said Bonnie. 'That'll probably start again tomorrow.'

They laughed. It had been a while since they could be so calm, not worrying about Katherine or Original vampires or Hybrids - or anything else at all.

💠💠💠

A short while later, the three best friends stood in front of the mirror together, looking at their reflection.

'Admit it,' said Caroline, taking her phone from the small bag she carried and snapping a picture of the reflection. 'We look pretty good.'

And they did. Bonnie was wearing a one-shouldered ocean-blue dress that cut off halfway down her thigh on her right leg and dropped to the ground over her left. Her left shoulder was bare, but over her right shoulder was the single, thick blue strap.

Caroline's emerald green dress was strapless and flew loosely to the ground, with a slit to her hip on the left side. She wore a thin, silver belt around her waist. She had curled her hair, and it hung just below her shoulders.

The red, sweetheart-neckline dress Elena wore clung to her skin and cut off a few inches above her knees. Her hair was tied in a messy bun, the loose strands curled, framing her face, but not covering it up at all.

They were all wearing stiletto heels, but they didn't trip when they walked down the stairs to meet their dates.

Bonnie joined Jeremy, Elena joined Damon and Caroline joined Tyler. The guys all wore similar tuxes - but, then again, most tuxes were similar. After they greeted each other, and the guys told the girls how beautiful they looked, they left the boarding house.