Chapter 14

'So, how long have you known them?' Said Elizabeth. They were sitting on the couch again, in the evening. 'Stefan and Damon.'

'A few years,' said Elena vaguely. 'A little bit less than you.'

They laughed slightly. 'Yeah, I can only think if one person who's known them as long as I have,' said Elizabeth.

'Katherine,' Elena muttered. 'Why didn't you try to find Katherine? Or Damon and Stefan? You know, after...'

'Katherine left me to burn. So did Stefan and Damon, I guess - but they couldn't do anything to help me.'

'Katherine was left locked under a church,' said Elena. 'Did you know that?'

'Yes,' said Elizabeth. 'I didn't really want to go and see her.'

'I get why,' said Elena. 'Was she mad that you were with Damon?'

'Yes, but not because she actually cared. She just wanted everything, and that included both of them. She just had to let me have Damon, because she knew that it' do ok suspicious or whatever if she didn't.'

'Sounds like Katherine,' said Elena.

'Yeah. She always says she chose Stefan. And I think she did. But the difference was, I actually loved Damon. She just wanted someone to drink.'

'You actually loved him?'

'Well, yeah.'

'Sorry to sound so surprised,' said Elena, 'it's just that, I know how Katherine was, and you're sisters, and I just...'

'And we're back to the 'why don't you hate me?' conversation again!' Said Elizabeth, smiling slightly. 'If I remind you of Katherine so much, then why am I sitting here, talking to you like a friend?'

'Something about you tells me that you're nothing like Katherine, really. And that we could be friends, if you liked.'

Elizabeth smiled. 'I've only ever had one friend that wasn't Katherine, and she died three weeks after I met her.'

'Well, Katherine's tried to kill me plenty of times, and I'm still here!'

'Think you can last a bit longer?'

'Maybe,' said Elena, and they laughed.

'What do you drink?' Said Elizabeth. 'You know,' she added in response to Elena's quizzical look, 'blood bags, animal blood, people...'

'Blood bags, mostly,' said Elena.

'Mostly?'

'Yeah.'

'Well, I'm all for people,' said Elizabeth, standing up, 'and I'm thirsty. So, you wanna come? Up to you, of course.'

'Sure,' said Elena, getting up, too. 'Just... Don't let me kill anyone, okay?'

Elizabeth laughed. 'I'll try my best.'