Chapter 23

Everybody left the bar in complete silence. Bonnie and Caroline went off together, as did Matt and Tyler.

Elena and Elizabeth pulled out in front of Jeremy, Stefan and Damon, and they walked in silence for the most part of the journey. When they could just about see the boarding house, Elena finally spoke.

'What the hell happened back there?'

Elizabeth and Elena ran to Elena's room in a second.

'What's gotten into him?' Said Elena.

'I don't know,' said Elizabeth. She sat down on the edge of the bed whilst Elena paced the room, thinking.

'Elizabeth... Do you think it has anything to do with... You know...'

'Me coming back?' Elizabeth prompted. 'No.'

'It's just that, ever since you got here...'

'Elena, listen,' said Elizabeth. 'Remember when you first changed? I bet your emotions were completely haywire. Don't, I know what happened,' Elizabeth said, when Elena went to explain. 'I saw. I see everything. But, anyway, you, of all people, must know how much your emotions can get out of control.'

'So?'

'So, Damon was turned by me when he was in love with me. And I was in love with him, too. My point is, though neither of us are in love any more, those feelings doesn't just go away, it's too much.' Elizabeth couldn't help but smile in spite of herself, remembering her earlier conversation with Damon.

'That makes sense,' said Elena, 'but it doesn't explain why he... Did what he did.'

'I know,' said Elizabeth. 'I just want you to know that Damon and I aren't in love.'

'I know,' said Elena. 'It's just... What happened with him tonight?'

'I honestly don't know,' Elizabeth lied.