Chapter 4

Elizabeth sat in her black car in the parking lot of the Mystic Grill, looking out of the tinted windows. Nobody could see her - but she was positioned perfectly to watch Elena Gilbert and Bonnie Bennett converse with the busboy, Matt Donovan. She lounged back in the seat, her ankles, which were covered in the leather of her boots, resting on the steering wheel.

'So when does your shift end?' Elena asked him.

'I've got about a half hour left,' said Matt, checking his watch.

'Well, when you get off, come over!' Said Caroline.

'I don't know, Care.'

'Come on, Matt. No creepy witch voodoo, no vampires trying to kill any of us. Just a drinking party with Stefan and Damon!' Said Elena.

'Four drunk vampires and a drunk witch. Sounds safe to me!' Matt joked.

'Hey!' Said Caroline, mocking offence. 'We can be responsible enough!'

'Yeah, yeah,' Matt muttered.

'So, shall we take that as a yes?' Asked Caroline, raising an eyebrow.

Matt sighed. 'Fine, I'll be round in an hour.'

'Yay!' Squealed Caroline.

Elizabeth was just bored now, so she twisted the car keys in the ignition and drove away from the Grill.

Besides - she'd heard what she wanted to hear.

Elizabeth had been hiding in the shadows, building up her knowledge of the Salvatore brothers again.

Stefan had come to Mystic Falls, and fallen in love with Elena. Elena had become torn between the two guys. She picked Damon.

Elizabeth knew how she felt.

Caroline and Bonnie were Elena's best friends. Katherine had turned Caroline into a vampire, and Bonnie was a witch. Damon had turned Elena. Elena had become sired to Damon, and then turned off her humanity when her feelings became too much, which lead to her burning her house down, and also breaking the sire bond, as it was based on Elena's feelings for Damon. That was why Elena picked Damon - but she stood by her choice after the sire bond was broken.

Elena's brother was Jeremy, but Elena was adopted - Jeremy was actually her cousin, but she cared for him like a brother. Jeremy and Bonnie were together. Jeremy was one of The Five - a group of vampire hunters.

Tyler was a vampire/werewolf hybrid turned by Klaus. He and Caroline were together. Klaus was in love with Caroline, too, at least it seemed that way to Elizabeth, but Caroline had chosen Tyler because she loved him more.

Matt Donovan was their only human friend. He and Elena used to be together, but she broke up with him because they were better as friends. Which they were. Matt had a ring - the 'Gilbert Ring' - which prevented him from dying, but it was dangerous, as each time the ring is used, his spirit was left further from his body. One day, he could lose it.

And these were only the basics.

You see, Elizabeth could just turn up and say, 'surprise! I'm back!' and introduce herself to the others. She could be friends with them quickly.

But Elizabeth didn't work that way.