Chapter 10

Damon, Stefan, Elena and Jeremy were the only ones left sitting in the living room of the boarding house - the others had disappeared not long ago, after their short conversation about Elizabeth, and after Katherine had left.

'What did Katherine mean, when she said Elizabeth doesn't exaggerate about anything, except death?' Jeremy asked after a few moments of tense silence.

'And why did she feel the need to kiss you both?' Said Elena.

'Elizabeth is... Complicated. She says things exactly the way they are, without trying to hide any details,' said Stefan.

'How does that make her complicated?' Said Elena.

'Because she knows exactly how to tell you things and make them seem worse or better than they are, without exaggerating or changing any of the details,' said Damon.

'But Katherine said she exaggerates about death,' said Jeremy.

'Elizabeth believes that everyone should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to do, which is something I, personally, agree with,' said Damon. 'If I went out and killed a town, she would tell me, in short, that I'm a dick, but she wouldn't worry about it. But, if she killed someone, she'd go into panic mode, or at least on the inside, stuff about how that person didn't deserve to die, or whatever.'

'So... She'd watch other people kill, but she couldn't kill, herself?' Said Elena, sounding slightly confused.

'Yup.'

'She must've killed someone, then, for you to know that,' said Jeremy.

'When she was turned,' said Stefan. 'Her first feed. Literally about ten seconds after she woke up, she was holding a dead man in her arms.'

Elena knew how the process felt, right after you died, before you became a vampire. 'Is she a ripper?' She asked after a moment.

'Definitely not,' said Damon.

'If she's one of the most loyal, trustworthy people you know... Well, what if someone killed you? Or what if she had the chance to kill someone like Silas?' Said Jeremy finally.

'She would.' Said Stefan.

'I thought she didn't kill?' Said Elena, understanding now why it was complicated.

Damon sighed, and said; 'You know how panicked Katherine had looked when she saw Elizabeth here?'

'Yeah,' said Elena and Jeremy.

'What is pretty much the only thing that Katherine fears?'

'Death,' said Elena.

'Or someone more powerful than her,' Stefan said.

'So, Elizabeth's more powerful than Katherine?' Said Jeremy.

'Yes,' said Stefan.

'How does that tie in with her loyalty and killing people?' Said Elena.

'One night, Katherine was trying to convince me to stop being friends with Elizabeth,' said Stefan, slightly bitterly.

'And she tried to convince me to stop going out with her, too,' said Damon.

'How?' Jeremy prompted after a moment of silence.

'She told us about how Elizabeth had almost killed her.'