Chapter 11

Elizabeth had been listening, and decided that that was the time to make her entrance. 'You mind if I tell that story?' She said.

Four pairs of eyes snapped up to her quickly. 'Katherine?' Said Elena.

'Nope!' Said Elizabeth, smiling.

'Go on, then,' said Damon.

Elizabeth flopped into the empty seat opposite Stefan. Elena and Damon on the couch to her left, and Jeremy sat on the couch to her right. 'So, let's see. I don't kill people, but I'm one of the most deceptive people you know, but I'm also one of the most loyal and trustworthy? Well, thank you very much,' said Elizabeth, not sarcastically.

'Just tell the story,' said Damon.

'Yeah, yeah. Well, it must've been about two years before we met these two,' said Elizabeth, indicating to Stefan and Damon. 'Katherine and I were in Spain. We'd been there for about a month, and, about three weeks, so after we'd been there for a week, we met another vampire, named Rosalie. Well, I met her, and introduced her to Katherine. Rosalie and I became friends straight away, and the only vampire I'd ever met besides Katherine was her. Rosalie and I were so close, and I thought Katherine was the same with her. We were three nomadic vampires who'd become great friends. We'd discussed where we'd go next, the three of us - we were going to go to Australia. But this one night, we were separated when we went hunting, but Katherine and I had been separated many times before - we'd meet back at the place we were sleeping, which was in the middle of a forest. Rosalie had joined us at our camp, so I hoped she'd have the sense to come and meet us back there.

'But when I was on my way back to the camp, I found Katherine feeding on someone, so I waited for her to be done, even though she hadn't seen me yet. I thought we'd go back to the camp after and wait for Rosalie, because I was done so she probably was, too. So I did. But when Katherine lifted her head up, I saw that she hadn't been feeding on someone, she'd been ripping their throat out with her teeth, she'd ripped their heart out with her bare hands.' Elizabeth's voice had become quieter and quieter as she spoke, her eyes distant as she remembered is happening, yet her voice, although decreasing in volume, remained casual, betraying no emotion, not even in the next three words she said; 'It was Rosalie.'

A few moments passed in silence, the others watching Elizabeth intently, even though Damon and Stefan had heard this story before - once from Katherine's exaggerated point of view, which completely left out the part where she killed Rosalie and skipped straight to the part Elizabeth would explain next, and once coming from Elizabeth's honest mouth.

'I had been standing in a rooftop, looking down at Katerina. I watched her drop Rosalie's body into the gutter as though she meant nothing to her. Which she didn't, but I didn't want to admit that to myself. So I jumped down and landed behind Katerina, and pushed her up against the wall, twisting her arms behind her back and snapping the bones, and they healed quickly, because our her vampire healing ability, in the wrong way. And it hurt. But I just stood there, looking into my sister's eyes. She looked terrified and betrayed at the same time. The way I was holding her, she couldn't move, even her legs. I snapped her neck, and dropped her into the gutter, where Rosalie had just been - I'd picked my friends body up and held her over my shoulder. When Katerina came to, I had snapped her arms again, and they had healed into yet another position. I held my hand over her chest - I pushed it in, and I could hear her screaming, but I didn't care. But only a moment before I ripped her heart out - I was touching it! - something snapped inside me. I broke her neck again, but this time, to stop her pain instead of cause it. And I gave her my blood, to heal her, and she woke up terrified, I didn't understand why.

'But I was so stupid. I never thought anything would be able to break the bond between sisters, the bond between myself and Katerina. I let her convince me that she had been hunting, and she lost control when she saw Rosalie, because she could smell the blood Rosalie had around her mouth, so she attacked her. But that wasn't true, even though I let myself believe it. We buried Rosalie and went to Australia.'

Elizabeth stopped speaking.

'That was graphic,' Jeremy muttered.

'Told you she didn't hold back,' Damon muttered.

Nobody spoke for a while, before Jeremy decided that he was going to bed.

'Elizabeth, you wanna stay here?' Damon said. 'I'm pretty sure Stefan's bed has a bit of room left in it.'

Stefan looked taken aback. 'It's fine,' said Elizabeth, 'I always preferred sleeping in trees, I don't know why.'