Chapter 18

'Hey,' said Elizabeth, as she saw Elena coming downstairs. Her subconsciousness had snapped back into her body as soon as she heard Elena waking up upstairs - it had woken her up. Elizabeth had dressed before Elena came downstairs, and was now sitting on the couch, the pillow and covers piled neatly next to her.

'Hi,' said Elena.

'Oh, good, you're awake,' said Damon, appearing just behind Elena. 'Didn't want to have to wake you up to get you off that couch.'

'Well, you know how grumpy I can get in the mornings,' Elizabeth joked.

Damon and Elena came to sit down, and Elizabeth said that she was going to a store. 'You need anything?'

'We're good,' said Elena.

'Okay,' said Elizabeth, and she left.

A few moments after Elizabeth had gone, Katherine appeared. She let herself in, and came and sat down opposite Elena and Damon.

'So what's the deal?' Said Katherine.

'What deal?' Said Elena.

'You know,' said Katherine. 'When are you going to decide that you like Elizabeth again, and then kick her out so you can deny that those feelings exist?'

'What're you talking about?' Said Damon.

'Oh, come on, Damon. Don't be so stupid. Elizabeth appeared here looking all sweet and innocent, but do you really think she just wants to make friends with your new girlfriend? It'd never be that simple.' Said Katherine. 'She always has ulterior motives - she is my sister, no matter how much I deny it.'

'So what you're saying,' said Damon, 'is that Elizabeth, somebody I dated over a century ago, appeared all of a sudden with the sole purpose of taking me away from Elena, somebody she'd only just met?'

'I'm saying that she never stays in a place without having a reason to do so, and there is honestly no other reason.'

'Katherine, she said that this is the place where she finally found the strength to defy you. Isn't that a reason?' Said Elena. 'Memories?'

'Memories?' Katherine mocked. 'No way. You don't know my sister as well as I do, you've only known her for three days.'

'So?'

'Three days, over five hundred years. I wonder who knows her the best?'

'Four hundred years and you didn't think she'd ever have the guts to leave you,' said Damon. 'I don't think it makes a difference.'

'Oh, yeah?' Said Katherine, raising an eyebrow. 'You know what she said? She told me that you gave her strength, Damon. She said that that's why she's still here.'

'That doesn't mean she wants to go out with him again,' said Elena. 'Why should we listen to you, anyway?'

'And that was over a hundred years ago,' said Damon. 'I've moved on, and I'm pretty sure she's moved on! Although, who would blame her if she hadn't...'

'Damon!' Elena gasped, hitting is arm, but she was laughing.

'Have it your way,' said Katherine, getting up. 'But trust me. Even if she doesn't have feelings for you now, she'll get there. And so will you. She has had more of an effect on you than even Elena has.'

Elizabeth appeared in the doorway, holding a small box. Of course it hadn't taken her very long - she had her vampire speed.

'Katherine, I know this isn't my house, and it isn't my place to decide who comes in here and who doesn't, but get out.'

'I think I'll stay,' said Katherine defiantly.

'Bye, Katherine,' said Damon. Katherine sighed, and reluctantly left.

'I'm not here to get you to be my boyfriend, Damon, and I'm definitely not here to hurt you, Elena,' she said. 'I'm here to dye my hair.'